Building A Catio for a specific window...

gon.killua.kittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! I made an account to be able to ask the cat-loving community!

I currently live in Los Angeles, which is not a safe place to have outdoor cats. But I want my two boys to have as much fresh air as possible. Right now, our solution is propping the door open with a two story hutch that we built (first photo). There is no way for them to crawl their way outside, but they get some nice fresh air. But I'm hoping for a more natural solution than having to prop our door open all the time. Our apartment is a repurposed retail space (which is why we have that the handicap sticker on our door.) This door leads to a gated patio, but isn't safe to let the cats roam free, since they could probably jump the gate if they really wanted to.

I want to build a catio that will allow them to exit through the window (this window is the only solution). That way, they could walk outside anytime, and they would also have more roam space, since I would create more walking space, and would eventually link it to this two story hutch we have now. The problem is, our windows don't open up and down. They crank open. (see photo). Does anyone have any ideas how I could create this opening for the cats? My only solution for now is to cover the entire window with the cat hutch but it is a LARGE window, I was hoping for another way.

Any ideas would be helpful!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am asking an obvious question, that likely has an obvious answer - but I'll ask anyway. Can you just replace that one window with one that opens and closes in another fashion? If that would be possible, you could even get one installed with a cat door in it as well. Or, just get a cat door installed in the current window. Seems like you have all the remaining logistics figured out!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If you own or have an agreeable landlord, replacing the window is the easiest thing to do. Even with a landlord, possibly you could negotiate something like replacing the old window again when you move or if it is not replaceable, purchasing a new one.

Your hutch is very nice; much more so than many I have seen.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone! I made an account to be able to ask the cat-loving community!

I currently live in Los Angeles, which is not a safe place to have outdoor cats. But I want my two boys to have as much fresh air as possible. Right now, our solution is propping the door open with a two story hutch that we built (first photo). There is no way for them to crawl their way outside, but they get some nice fresh air. But I'm hoping for a more natural solution than having to prop our door open all the time. Our apartment is a repurposed retail space (which is why we have that the handicap sticker on our door.) This door leads to a gated patio, but isn't safe to let the cats roam free, since they could probably jump the gate if they really wanted to.

I want to build a catio that will allow them to exit through the window (this window is the only solution). That way, they could walk outside anytime, and they would also have more roam space, since I would create more walking space, and would eventually link it to this two story hutch we have now. The problem is, our windows don't open up and down. They crank open. (see photo). Does anyone have any ideas how I could create this opening for the cats? My only solution for now is to cover the entire window with the cat hutch but it is a LARGE window, I was hoping for another way.

Any ideas would be helpful!
like the hunter x hunter reference in your user name :lol:sorry its off topic i happen to an anime geek

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gon.killua.kittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am asking an obvious question, that likely has an obvious answer - but I'll ask anyway. Can you just replace that one window with one that opens and closes in another fashion? If that would be possible, you could even get one installed with a cat door in it as well. Or, just get a cat door installed in the current window. Seems like you have all the remaining logistics figured out!!
Ahh yeah, I should have mentioned, we're renting so there isn't much we can do in terms of replacing the window or even drilling into the walls. I would need to build a frame that works around the building itself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gon.killua.kittens

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you own or have an agreeable landlord, replacing the window is the easiest thing to do. Even with a landlord, possibly you could negotiate something like replacing the old window again when you move or if it is not replaceable, purchasing a new one.

Your hutch is very nice; much more so than many I have seen.
I'm renting, so replacing the window doesn't seem to be an option. It wouldn't hurt to ask but I can already say they probably won't allow it.

And this is where I got the hutch!: Cat house Outdoor Run for Cats-AIR22 (Inner space 13.2ft²)

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to take a slightly different approach to this and possibly use some handyman skills. Can you take a few more pictures of the window, specifically the handle crank itself, where the bar attaches to the crank, and where the bar attaches to the window?
I'm thinking that rather than replace the window, which you said isn't an option, there might be a way to unhook the crank bar, allowing the window to open all the way. Hopefully putting it back is as easy as replacing a few screws.