Building a cat tree/condo and need some insight.

bcrossan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind this is for an adult cat. So I want to build something nice and solid but I'm unsure of dimensions to use. For example... is 14 inches x 14 inches x 14 inches to small of an enclosure for sleeping? And if I put a 9 inches diameter hole and its 11 inches off the ground, is that acceptable to expect a cat to be able to jump through the hole to get inside or if I should have a step? Ugh... so confused and my OCD isn't helping.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The big advantage of building your own is that you can make it to fit a given space. In this case the width filled a space between a sofa and the wall. The window determined the height. It’s made so they can easily hop from one level to the next, with a hole in the middle of the top to come up through, and room for lounging on both sides of the hole. It’s easy enough that my 18 year old can still get up there.

For other ideas find examples by shopping on line. Petco for one has many to browse under cat furniture/cat trees.

653AB4B9-BDDD-4BC4-BE75-1DD849A752D6.jpeg

E187D7B0-CE1C-404B-A107-57CDAF186648.jpeg

08ADD65E-0E3C-4760-9D5A-B96E5FADB863.jpeg

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind this is for an adult cat. So I want to build something nice and solid but I'm unsure of dimensions to use. For example... is 14 inches x 14 inches x 14 inches to small of an enclosure for sleeping? And if I put a 9 inches diameter hole and its 11 inches off the ground, is that acceptable to expect a cat to be able to jump through the hole to get inside or if I should have a step? Ugh... so confused and my OCD isn't helping.
Lucky kitty - gets a custom-made cat tree!

I checked my cat tower (see picture--its the one with 5 stacked boxes) and the large holes are 8" diameter. My 11 pound cat gets through them easily. If the bottom or your hole starts 11" off the ground, that shouldn't be a problem for your cat to get into. YOur cat probably won't jump straight in, but will put its front paws in and kind of jump from that position.

The smallest box in my tower is 13" square, followed by the one below it at 14" square. Pip will sleep on top of the 13" one, and sometimes in the 14" one. Its cozy and she likes it. the boxes have holes in the tops and bottoms so she can climb internally or externally.

The other picture I attached is another commercial tree. It definitely looks like that box is about 14" square and about a foot off the ground, so I would say you are definitely on the right track. If you arent sure, why don't you try with a cardboard box first and see how your cat reacts to the size etc?

Bowsers-CatTowerBadge.jpg pawhut.jpg

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never built a cat tree..... I’m not handy. That said I think a lot depends on the cat.
Is your cat monkey cat/avid climber that lives to be high? If so you want to build something that goes to a bed right up by the ceiling.
Does your cat love to hide & burrow? Is kitty a ground dweller? Then maybe a bed 5 ft high where you give treats to encourage bravery & lots of caves.
No matter what make the base sturdy, big & heavy so your cats can’t knock it down. I have resorted to placing a large 12x12 paving stone at the base of one before. You can also a fix the cat tree to the wall.

⭐if your cat is a climber, I would buy one of those 6ft long shelves that can hold 50 pounds. Then put the shelves between two cat trees or give your cat a small shelf staircase down to your couch on the other side of your cat tree. Since I just bought my twerp a second giant cat tree I might do the shelf thing for him. If I could build (or cut a straight line!) I would build Jackie a highway around my livingroom with shelves up high on, around the entire room and his cat tree. If you look up ‘cat super highway’ on YouTube you should find some great examples.

I would love to see pictures of your finished product!