Bug Sprays?

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone here from the south? 🤪 I am in southeast TX. Hot and humid. Our county was literally a swamp at one point. Anyhoo we have a lot of oak trees around. I have 3 very large live oaks on my property. Which brings the good ol giant tree roaches. Sometimes, especially when the weather starts to warm up, they'll get into the house.
What bug sprays do yall use? I usually use Bengal, but I am nervous to use anything. However, I HAVE to use SOMETHING.
I usually spray the outside perimeter of my home, and the baseboard/floor areas, and doorways inside.
Or is it fine to use it and just keep my cat out of that room for a certain period of time? Will it be fine after it dries?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I get tree roaches too. I let my cats kill it or put a paper bag in front. He'll hopefully crawl right in. My apt has someone spray outside every week. One very good reason to keep cats inside. They don't eat it,just kill it. I know they can fly but my cats have caught mosqhitos before. Wish they did ants. Luckily I have never dealt with it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I get tree roaches too. I let my cats kill it or put a paper bag in front. He'll hopefully crawl right in. My apt has someone spray outside every week. One very good reason to keep cats inside. They don't eat it,just kill it. I know they can fly but my cats have caught mosqhitos before. Wish they did ants. Luckily I have never dealt with it
I absolutely freak out when my cat gets hold of one. It grosses me out. I am so freaked out by them. I don't have a problem with most bugs. In fact I usually "save" them. I even like spiders too. But I can't deal with those tree roaches. 😭 They're aliens!!! It grosses me out when she kills one. I gotta wash her paws and mouth lol. I get so stressed out lol. Ugh 😭😭😭

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep thinking, I'm stronger than them,they can't hurt me. I weigh a lot more than a tree roach

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure any spray that could kill these creatures is good for your cat, but I’m getting creeped out just reading this! If your cat can kill it, let it! Maybe y’all should get the heck out ‘til roach season blows over! :running:

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure any spray that could kill these creatures is good for your cat, but I’m getting creeped out just reading this! If your cat can kill it, let it! Maybe y’all should get the heck out ‘til roach season blows over! :running:
🤣 yeah we are used to it lol. Don't get me wrong, it's not an infestation or anything, it's just a southern thing lol!! I say we are used to it, but at the same time I get anxiety about them. I legit HATE THEM. It's like they know what they're doing lol. They fly too.

SukiSuki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep I'm in all those groups haha.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally would not use bug spray indoors unless you remove the cats from the home for at least a couple of days to prevent exposure and air out the home before you allow the cats back.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One plus about roaches is they cannot harm you or your cat. Imagine being sprayed by a stink bug,step on an ant pile, bit by an assasin bug-do not let in your house!
Screenshot_20210912-221455_Resize Me!.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assume you are talking about the giant tree roaches. You know they cannot live long inside. I don’t get them often but when I do, my cats find them yucky too, they end up on their backs and die fairly quickly.A friend sent me a toy one that winds up and runs on the floor. She thought the cats would love it. Nope! Now every time I open their toy box and see it, for a split second, I think it’s real. Maybe you could use it to lead yours back outside! Lol In the past I found that spraying them just makes them fly around or scurry straight towards you. A jar and piece of cardboard works for me. Safer for the kitties too. Good luck! Oh, you might do some closing up where you have plumbing coming in the house and put a screen over your dryer vent? Trimming bushes back from the house helps a lot!

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I hate bugs... And even worse, I hate when one of the cats gets a rogue bug that's somehow gotten into the house!! 🤢
The only product I've tried with success that is non toxic to animals and humans is EcoSmart Home Pest Control. We have a fire ant problem where we live, and I found if I spray the perimeter of the outside of our house, this helps keeps those pesky ants at bay. It says it will protect against other pests too, so it may be worth a shot. I swear it's just mint lol, that's all it smells like when I spray around the outside of the house.