Bug/mosquito repellent - are they safe for cats?

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this is an off-season question but my apartment's recently getting bugs & mosquito attack. Instead of fumigator or fogger, I started using clip-on type repellent for myself as well as placing a diffuser type of repellent in a room so Ku Ku won't get bitten either.

My biggest concern is, though, everytime I turned on diffuser, Ku Ku walks over & starts sniffing around(and sometimes licks!).
The diffuser is odor-less/fragrance free but there's no precaution on safety for use around pets.

Any advise is appreciated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the box it came in have ingredients.?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It says Transfluthrin.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well wikipedia is not usually my first source but check this easy to understand definition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfluthrin

Transfluthrin is a fast-acting pyrethroid insecticide with low persistency. It has the molecular formula C15H12Cl2F4O2. Transfluthrin can be used in the indoor environment against flies, mosquitoes and cockroaches. It is a relatively volatile substance and acts as a contact and inhalation agent.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used those little Off! cartridges this summer. It says on the packaging to use outside only. I wouldn't use them inside, or allow the cats to sniff at them at all.

I don't think any of that kind of insect repellent stuff is meant for use inside.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I must stop using it for both myself & Ku Ku's health.

I bought it at a grocery store in Japan. Along with Mosquito coils, these diffuser type of repellents are commercially available & used both in & outdoors over there. Wonder why it's still legally available there...

I never had indoor bug problems when I was in FL, though.
I was using deet-free repellent cream from Off but seems they discontinued making it.

What do you use for indoor?
Do the oldschool way by squishing it if it bothers you?
Or, keep all windows & doors closed while blasting AC for all summer long??
I know using AC would somehow works...at least insects are not staying in as long as AC's running full-blast.

The only problem is, Ku Ku does not like AC at all. She was a FL feral, used to all the humidity & heat, I guess... She "complains" if AC works too well.

I personally don't like using AC too much either.
I tend to use dehumidifier with fans rather than AC even during hot summer months because of that...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I generally don't need anything like that indoors in summer because I have screens on my windows. Can't you put up screens or mosquito netting?

You can use revolution on the cats, that will protect them from heartworm, should they get bitten by a mosquito.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get some durable screens and you should be able to run fans/such and be fine about the bugs. I run minimal AC down here in Texas during the summer and the screens held up.

Now if your windows open outwards then I don't know what to tell ya.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for responses. Life's been hectic, couldn't respond for a long time.

Yes, actually...all the windows have screens but still somehow bugs get in from somewhere that I don't really know...maybe when I open the door?
Ku Ku's been on Revolution for a long time. So...I guess I shouldn't worry too much about her getting a mosquito-bite.