BUBBEE...TERRITORIAL AGGRESSION ???

Bubbee Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in a 2/3 month old kitten someone dropped off across the street in a park with a lake. I think he was there for a few weeks. Started feeding him everyday and staying awhile when I could. He began to trust me and hated to see me leave. Engaged the help of a local nonprofit pet rescue to capture him which was no problem by this point in time. We've had him for 10 months now. The problem is besides the fact that he is very 'high speed' especially in the morning, we are usually unable to stop him from doing what he wants without him trying to bite. I have to encourage him to the enclosed porch just to clean his litter box in the morning or he will charge at me. If he's on the table or the counter and we gently pick him up... he will more often than not charge and bite at me. Is this 'territorial aggression'? Over all...he is not nasty... He comes when called (usually), plays fetch and shadows us every where. We keep hoping the older he gets he will settle down some but it doesn't seem to be happening. He does 't like petting or cuddling or being picked up much. We can't keep nicknacks or photos out or he knocks them on the floor. I can't put my window blinds down all the way or he reaches up and tears at them. He has knocked over every plant live or artificial. We have tried to accommodate him by removing or taping down everything that he could destroy or hurt him. We very seldom raise our voices we just try to distract him. We have scratching posts, toys, laser lights galore. We spend a lot of time entertaining him so he's not bored. He will not sleep in a cat bed or on any kind of fuzzy blanket but he likes a cardboard box lid on the kitchen floor to nap on though he will sleep on the couch now. He must have spent his early life in that situation is all I can figure. Aside from all the stuff he does to apparently dominate the house our biggest concern is the aggressive response he makes when we do something he doesn't like...ie. take him off the kitchen counter and he retaliates. My husband is older with medical conditions that involve taking a blood thinner, so being bit is not a good thing. I'm actually allergic to cats but several years ago we took in a cat and 4 homeless/almost feral kittens. They all lived to be 16 years old. Last spring after the last one passed we decided to give 'Bubbee' a home thinking how hard could 1 kitten be..we had raised 5 at one time....we have experience and a pretty good understanding of what it takes. None of our other cats behaved this way and they weren't perfect..but they were cats. We are at our wits end and thinking of surrendering him to a shelter that won't kill him. Finding him a new home or foster home in this day and age is almost impossible. Our hearts are breaking. It a rock and a hard place...

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
What a bright-eyed darling sweeheart!

This sounds to me like a kitten, with all that kitten energy, who hasn't had siblings or a momcat to teach him catly manners.

When he charges, yell NO, with total, unequivocal firmness. Have a couple of small-ish metal cans half filled with coins around you, and when he charges, shake that can hard, or even throw it on the ground (make sure the lid'll stay on). You are working to get his mind out of the mode of "charge/bite". It won't change him overnight, but just keep at it. Consistency on your part will result in better behavior on his part.

A really loud hiss can also work, and he'll understand that since that is what his mom would have done when irritated with unwanted kitten behavior.

Also, I imagine you've either already removed things or taped the other things down, but museum putty works nicely to help keep things from harms way during zoomies.

Would he use a cat wheel? You might talk with your vet about claw caps.

This may have something that helps;
How To Keep Cats Off Counters And Tables - TheCatSite

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is his body language like when he charges and bites you? Are his ears pinned back, tail fluffed, anything like that? Any hissing, growling, or yowling, or is it quiet? Or do you feel it is more that he trying to “play” attack and taking it too far? This sounds like it might be more towards the realm of single kitten syndrome as opposed to territorial aggression, due to not being taught manners from mom and littermates, like Furballsmom Furballsmom mentioned.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if he has been in for his neuter yet? if not, that needs to be done as soon as possible. Generally most teenage cats are brats who think they rule the world. Add some raging hormones and many times worse. Assuming it is not hormone related, you have to firmly discourage his bad behavior. I have found have a loud and authoritative mom (or dad) voice helps, facing the little offender and giving them a “We do NOT bite” type message can stop them when they are on the verge of biting or whatever. You also want to block their fun, so having a pillow to block him reaching your legs or arms will also discourage him. If you have to , reach down and hold his scruff so he can’t get close enough for a bite, pick him up and give him a cooling off time in a bedroom or other room with a door you can shut.

The good news is that in six months to a year he will begin to settle down and be more behaved.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lots of good advice above.

Yes if he hasn't been neutered that will help.

- museum putty for your knock knacks is great
- does he have kicker toys he can play with you with?
- have you tried some electronic toys?
- does he react to catnip?

Definitely you're having a harder time because it is one. Those 5 had others to keep them busy.