Brushing The Belly

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My big grumpy former stray long haired cat allowed me brush his belly a little bit the other day! And then he woke up and bit me :lol:

Has anyone had a cat before that was really utterly and completely averse to belly brushing but by some magic found a way that got them to put up with it?

Time, patience and treats are the suggestions I'm finding on this forum - which I'm certainly trying - but Scraggles still puts up a good fight. (I've had him coming up to a year at this stage.) Also I've read about using a toothbrush to start off with which I'm going to try.

There is a serious side to this too, though. I had to bring Scraggles to the vet about a month ago to get matting removed from under his arms and his belly. Scraggles had a bad reaction to the sedation - and although sedation for dematting was never going to be a long term solution - now I'm even loath to consider it as a plan B.

Also, when Scraggles first arrived his fur had been completely butchered - it looked like a child had got at him with a scissors. Part of me wonders if this is why he "ran away" in the first place, and, if so, if I push too hard with the grooming, is he going to run away again? I have got him neutered, though, which I'm sure helps, but I don't want to lose my Scraggles!

Anybody have a magic fix..?!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder what kind of sedation they used? A bad reaction to one doesn't necessarily mean that all sedation will do the same thing.

Our vet prescribed tranquilizers for Jasmine, for times when we need to take her in a car (which she's terrified of), but first she suggested that we try half a Benadryl. It's an OTC antihistamine, and for some cats it works as a tranquilizer. (And before using it this way you should definitely consult your vet and make certain you have the correct dose.)

Tranquilizers are a good deal short of sedatives; according to How Sedative and Tranquilizer Work, Difference Between Sedative and Tranquilizer — Health Blurbs
A sedative is a barbiturate used to treat acute anxiety, tension and insomnia. A tranquilizer is a benzodiazepine prescribed to treat anxiety, acute stress response and panic attacks.
I don't think there's any way to brush this cat's belly without trauma, short of drugs. Cats consider their bellies to be extremely vulnerable, so they protect them. And even with drugs, you should still give treats and other rewards. Anything to make it a pleasant experience for him. Also, if you're concerned about running away, Scraggles should be an indoor only cat.

Margret

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My male cat won't let me brush his belly at all, he is fine with the rest of his body, but not his stomach. He's short-haired though, so I just brush everywhere else. If I try to do his stomach he bunny kicks my hand and tries to destroy the brush.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In the short term, while you're working on getting him to accept the brushing with treats, you could try using a sacrificial toy. So when he's lying on his side, use one hand to hold a kickeroo type toy near his mouth so when he gets aggravated he can bite and claw that, and use your other hand to sneak in some brushing. Or if he's a lap cat, try lifting him up gently and getting his belly that way.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just time and patience, and it's possible that he won't ever allow it. Start trying frequent belly rubs with no brush in sight. I've gotten my little feral cat to enjoy belly rubs which is a lot of progress...no brushing yet though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks all! :kneading:

I'm not sure what sedative he was given, Margret. I suppose I'm feeling a bit of time pressure as if he's likely to suffer from matting again I'd just like to work out some solution sooner rather than later, or even at least to be seeing some progress, so if something like Benadryl would help calm him and help the whole process, even for the time being, I'll definitely ask my vet about it. I don't think I'd be as worried if it weren't for the fact that he has such long hair and that it obviously is prone to matting.

Interesting you should mention the kickeroo, Ardina, as I was only googling what they were the other day as I've seen them mentioned quite a few times recently on this site. I'll be looking into buying one now. He, however, isn't at all a lap cat though..! But, having said that, like you suggest, orange&white, I have been trying to just rub around his belly a bit more when he's relaxed on the bed. He doesn't mind his chest getting rubbed so much now, so maybe we'll get to the belly.

Becoming an indoor cat is certainly in the works. When he was sick from the sedative I wasn't letting him out at all as he was in no fit state to look out for himself. He even used the litter tray for the first time ever - which was a huge step for him.

However, he really wasn't well and when he started eating less and less I just had to let him back out again as I thought being "trapped" inside was adding to his trauma. Once I'm fully happy with his appetite again and feel like enough time has passed I'll be starting again on getting him used to being indoors more.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting you should mention the kickeroo, Ardina, as I was only googling what they were the other day as I've seen them mentioned quite a few times recently on this site. I'll be looking into buying one now.
Any sort of large soft-ish toy will work, even a stuffed animal, as long as he can sink his teeth and claws into it. Saipha actually prefers a roll of paper towels over any real toy to bite and kick. No need for a kickeroo specifically unless you really want to get it.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, goodness. I think you've described Buddy and Oscar to a T! :flail:

The best I've been able to manage is to help them bliss out enough to lie on their sides. For Buddy, that might mean playing with him until he tires himself out and lies down on the floor. For Oscar, that might mean waiting until he stretches out on his favorite lounge/scratching post. Then I try to brush or comb their tummies as best I can from that perspective, and hope the next time I can catch them they will have rolled over so I can get the other side. :biggrin:

One thing that helps me is to use different combs and brushes for different areas. I've found that this Safari Flea Comb works best for me when I'm trying to comb in a tight spot like up under or between their front legs. Or something kinda sorta like this one works nicely, too. Honestly though, I have a whole box of different sizes and types of brushes and combs, and I just keep swapping them out until I find something that works for me that day. :wink:

As others have mentioned, toys can be a great distraction. Mine happen to love cuddling with a curvy catnip toy like this banana or rainbow. But different strokes for different folks...and cats. :)

Hope you find something that works for you and your sweetie!

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great - thanks again all.

I love the idea of a long/large type toy - I don't actually have any so I must invest. Something that will keep claws occupied and at a distance I suppose, and something to distract the teeth!

And will try different combs too - I've been thinking actually maybe also a wider toothed comb might be handy to start off with - less likely to tug on anything and cause more upset.

I've started to brush him a bit on the bed - which really probably isn't the most hygienic place - but it's where he's his most relaxed. So he sounds like your Oscar, cheeser! Scraggles plays, but I wouldn't be able to tire him out with it really - he gets over stimulated so I try stop it before it gets too much for him - but yet trying to increase play time bit by bit.

I'll keep with the chest rubs in the hopes that he might like some belly ones in the future. I suppose I just maybe need to up the chest rubbing a bit if I can - I don't want to overwhelm him - but I'd like to see some progress. I don't mind that he's a cranky pants - it's totally just part of his personality - it's just that if it stands in the way of proper grooming it can't be good for him. :rolleyes:

It's all a process I suppose..!

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the idea of a long/large type toy - I don't actually have any so I must invest. Something that will keep claws occupied and at a distance I suppose, and something to distract the teeth!
In a pinch, a stuffed sock makes a decent substitute for a kickeroo, especially if you add a little catnip. Tube socks work better, IMHO, but sometimes you gotta make do with what you have on hand. :)

Good luck!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny this thread is on here as we've just bought our kitten 'True Touch' today which is a 5 finger deshessing glove for both cats and dogs. I put it on and managed to brush my kitten without her running away ! At one stage she actually purred ! I'm not sure how to add an Internet link I'm afraid but Google it

BluPersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Persian is this way also. I just adopted him not long ago. He looooooooves being brushed everywhere but his belly. His favorite is to have his face brushed, so when he rolls on his side I brush and scratch his face with my other hand to distract him while I very gently brush his belly. We are working on it, but he doesn't like having his belly or his backside brushed. He tries to attack the brush and he moans and makes noises to let's me know he doesn't enjoy it.

The key with him has just been to go slow. I think consistency will pay off. I brush him every day at least once.

Last edited:

BluPersian

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really like the idea of a toy to bite at also. I am going to give that a try.

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Cucumella's hair is not long enough to mat. She likes to lie down on her back asking to get her chin and chest scratched but not her belly. I brush her everywhere else to get rid of loose hairs which she likes.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In a pinch, a stuffed sock makes a decent substitute for a kickeroo, especially if you add a little catnip. Tube socks work better, IMHO, but sometimes you gotta make do with what you have on hand. :)
And I'm only after throwing away a knee sock for which I couldn't find its pair - I'd been racking my brains for an odd sock use for ages also  :crackup:

Maybe its match will turn up now that I've thrown the other out.

Will be looking into the glove - I like that it offers some hand protection(!) - I'd seen something similar to them before but had questioned if those bumps were deep enough to really collect hair - but even if they're not I suppose it would be a good way to attempt a belly rub! - great to know cats like it!

And Scraggles loves getting rubbed under his chin BluPersian - so will work on distracting him with what he likes. :) :rock:

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just happened to be in a shop today that sold the True Touch Grooming Gloves so I decided to buy one!

I tried it on Scraggles when I got home and he seemed to enjoy it - he was certainly very curious about it, sniffing it, pawing and nipping at it and taking it all in. And he seemed to be O.K. with the grooming also. I even got a bit of chest rubbing in with it before the growling started. So we left it there - I'm looking forward to trying it again, though.

It possibly doesn't offer the dexterity I was hoping - but I think with the distraction of a kickeroo type toy it'll definitely be a good tool to have in my belt...

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just happened to be in a shop today that sold the True Touch Grooming Gloves so I decided to buy one!

I tried it on Scraggles when I got home and he seemed to enjoy it - he was certainly very curious about it, sniffing it, pawing and nipping at it and taking it all in. And he seemed to be O.K. with the grooming also. I even got a bit of chest rubbing in with it before the growling started. So we left it there - I'm looking forward to trying it again, though.

It possibly doesn't offer the dexterity I was hoping - but I think with the distraction of a kickeroo type toy it'll definitely be a good tool to have in my belt...
Yeah gracie loves it and at least it's a start ...

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I have one of those gloves, probably not that brand. It works well because my hands are small so when Luciano does bite it (and he always does), he doesn't get my hand, just the material. I've been thinking of getting a second one just to wear while grooming, since it would have to be worn backwards. I guess it would be possible to try and groom him with the back of my left hand, but it made me wonder if left handed grooming gloves are available.

Another good thing about the glove I learned from someone here who posted about it in another thread. If you run the glove under water and then ring it out so it's damp, it's good to use for getting pet hair off blankets and soft furniture. For me I've been using that as the first step before the lint brush & it works well.

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking of getting a second one myself - mainly for the protection so that I really could try "get at him" as Scraggles too can a biter when it comes to grooming..!

If you run the glove under water and then ring it out so it's damp, it's good to use for getting pet hair off blankets and soft furniture. For me I've been using that as the first step before the lint brush & it works well.
Good to know!