Brushing the belly!

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was never able to brush Lux's belly before. He is so fluffy, and most of that fluff ends up in his stomach. After he vomited his first hairball in over a year, I took to the internet. I found a video on YouTube called "Long-haired Cats Grooming Guidelines" by PurebredCatRescue that was really helpful.

I had tried the basic "stand up on hind legs and hold up by front legs" thing for Lux before, and that would just result in his squirming and bunny-kicking. It was more like wrestling than brushing. This groomer displays some excellent and effective holds for brushing the parts of a cat that they just don't like brushed (usually).

I've been using them (more gently than this groomer does) and have effectively tamed his tummy fur...and he seems more okay with lying down than standing up. Also helpful if your cat is a biter. 

kordron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brushed Lily today for the first time (I've had her a short time so far) and I was worried she'd hate being brushed. Turns out she LOVES having her belly brushed because she lays stretched out and closes her eyes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

satsumasryummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW you're lucky! Is she very young? I got Lux at 1 year old and he starts chattering about 2 minutes in to brushing anywhere near belly. We take frequent breaks. Thankfully, he's not one to attack. He rounded on me today like he was ready to, then saw me and turned back around, sulking I bet. Then I give him the talk about accepting his long-haired reality. 
 I cuddle him after and while he does stay in my arms, he GLARES. 

Last edited:

kordron

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She just turned a year old, I got her 6 six weeks ago so I'm still learning about what she like and doesn't like.