Brushing Cats Teeth

Eleora

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
DO I really need to brush my cats teeth? I have a baby toothbrush and have been getting her used to my fingers around and inside her mouth, I haven't actually brushed them yet, she is almost 9 months have I left it to late?

Does anyone brush their cats teeth? if you do or don't have you seen a difference?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I brush my three cats teeth almost every day and if for some reason I leave it for a few days I notice a difference. They dont like having it done but its a lot better than them going under anaesthetic.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are lots of TCS members who brush their cat's teeth. Dental hygiene is really imporant for pets just like it is for people. Bacteria and food particles build up on teeth which results in dental disease and bad breath. Scrubbing the teeth with a tootbrush removes food particles and junk which keeps the teeth and gums healthy. Here is some info on dental disease in cats: Feline Dental Disease | AVDC - American Veterinary Dental College

Some people give their cats raw bones and gizzards and cunks of meat to gnaw on for dental purposes. They say that it really helps to keep teeth clean. If your cat likes raw bones and meat, that is something you can try in addition to toothbrushing.

It's never too late to brush a cat's teeth. Start by getting a cat used to a toothbrush. Thenintroduce a small amount of pet toothpaste. CET has a poultry flavored toothpaste that many cats love. This brand isn't sold in chain pet stores so look for it at independent pet stores, the vet office, or online.

Some cats are just prone to dental issues because of genetics. One of my cats had three resorptive lesions despite having her teeth brushed.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I brushed Saipha's teeth for a year or so. I only stopped because I started feeding her raw meat with chunks and bones. Went to the vet a couple of weeks ago for a checkup, and she said Saipha's teeth were in great condition with no gingivitis at all.

Definitely worth using either one of these methods to maintain dental health!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have never done it with any of our cats and never had any issues that we know of.....but it know I should and feel guilty about not doing it.

"Arnold, Greg.......come on boys......daddys got something for you"

Screenshot_2017-12-14-09-24-35.png

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also brush my cat's teeth almost every day. Offer a treat to them immediately after you do it and they will associate it with a treat. My cat now sees me get his treats out and he jumps to the spot where we brush his teeth because he knows the drill.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of bones are best?
You can give chicken wings, gizzards, or necks - all are good for dental health. But most cats who've grown up on canned/dry food won't know what to do with whole chunks/bones. So you may have to chop into smaller pieces and slowly increase the size to help your cat learn and build up jaw strength. My kitten, who's been eating raw since she was 2 months old, tackles all sorts of bones and chunks. I'm still working on teaching my 2-year-old cat, who will eat boneless chunks but is still learning about gnawing bones.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of bones are best?

Raw bones of any kind. Chicken is small enough for a cat to gnaw on. The wing and wing tip and neck bone are good choices. A whole quail is also good.

Some cats won't touch raw bones and meat because they don't recognize it as food or something to chew on. If your cat has no clue what to do with anythng raw, it's ok :)