brushing a kitty

mariaanddonnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 8 month old cat doesn't like to be brushed.....especially under the tummy area.  I try to brush every couple days but she fights me on it.  I can get a good brushing minus the belly area once a week.  I know brushing is important.  Any advice on how I can get this kitty to like her brush and getting brushed?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I know my cats don't like to be brushed on the belly, but love it everywhere else!

What kind of brush do you use? Maybe it's uncomfortable for her?

Have you tried those mitts? They can be gentler than brushing, and the cat may think you are just petting her, not brushing her.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For now I would just brush her where she will allow.  Hold her tenderly and talk to her.  She will warm up to it, but it will take time.  My Mattie was a stray.  She hated brushing everywhere.  Even though she is short haired, she sheds worse than any cat I ever had.  I just kept at it a little at a time, and now she loves it, even on the belly.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats both get too stimulated by a brush. Memphis doesn't like anyone but me even touching his body, so I only go for a couple quick passes with a furminator. Tails is too energetic and wants to play with every brush I attempt. He particularly enjoys chewing the rubber nubs off of the zoom groom. Tails is so laid back that I can hold his paws and play around with individual toes, extending his claws out, etc, and he could not care less. Sometimes I'll do that for 20 - 30 minutes because it's kind of like a stress ball for me, and he seems to love it. However, put a brush in my hand, and I can't get within a foot of him without him trying to attack the brush.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For now I would just brush her where she will allow.  Hold her tenderly and talk to her.  She will warm up to it, but it will take time.  My Mattie was a stray.  She hated brushing everywhere.  Even though she is short haired, she sheds worse than any cat I ever had.  I just kept at it a little at a time, and now she loves it, even on the belly.
Good idea. Then I would offer a treat after wards w/ a "Good Girl," So she associates the good behavior w/

a treat.      You could also hold out the brush in front of her face, (if she will let you, & it's a soft brush, not a metal one, as to be safe on the face near eyes & nose) & see if she will brush her whiskers against it herself. I know Angel LOVES to do that!  I just imagine him saying "OH that feels sooo goooood!"

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Why is it so important to brush your kitty? Is she a longhair or shorthair? What kind of brush are you using? You might try using a different type of grooming tool. If she's shorthaired and you just want to cut down on the shedding, the furminator or zoom groom might work for you. If she long haired and you need to keep her free of mats, try using a comb instead of a brush. She may not like any of those better, but for some kitties it does make a difference.