Brush Reccomendations for Siberian Cat

catquestions232

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey All,

I just got a Siberian Kitten and need to buy a brush for her.  The pet store recomended the furminator.  I spoke with the breeder though and she said its not that effective for siberians.  The one she showed me had bristle that were "bullet" shaped.  By this, I mean they were narrow at the base, and thicker and cone shaped at the top.  I am not sure what brush it was though.

Can you guys reccomend me any brushes for a Siberian Cat?  Thankyou!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A good grooming tool for ANY longhaired cat is named for a dog, the GREYHOUND COMB.  It is a metal comb with round teeth, closer together at one end than another.  This will penetrate the thickness of the coat and detangle any knots that might be forming, and it will remove the undercoat that is shed, thus preventing mats.  The 7 1/2 inch size is a good one.  Here is a link to one;

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

A good grooming tool for ANY longhaired cat is named for a dog, the GREYHOUND COMB. 
I couldn't agree more.
    I have a Persian and swear by the greyhound comb, it works like a charm.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I own two Siberian cats, one of whom develops mats regularly.  I hope yours isn't too mat prone!  I second the comb but my cats don't tolerate it well.  Instead, I start with the purple Kong rubber comb to pull out dead undercoat hairs - they like this and it works surprisingly well.  Then I use the comb for a quick once over, then finally I use a polishing brush.  They like the polishing brush, and it's supposed to distribute their natural hair oils which theoretically helps prevent tangles.

The furminator and most brushes do nothing, because the undercoat is what you most need to keep groomed and it's well below the outer fur layers.   It'll work ok on a kitten, before all the layers grow in, though.