Brownish red thick stringy discharge from 68th day pregnant cat

ohrlybasti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this isn't my first delivery, I've delivered 3 litters but with little to no difficulty whatsoever. This cat however has started meowing nonstop and looking for a nest about 12 hours ago of posting this. She kept following me around instead of looking for a nest but was still meowing a whole lot, some yowling too. Around 9 hours ago, we spent quite a really long time going around the house because she wasn't satisfied with anything. About 6 hours ago she finally settled but would still meow a lot, pant, and keep licking the genital area. I then noticed some reddish discharge that wouldn't drip down. She would then keep coming to and from the living room until an hour ago when I noticed a really long thick "cord" of brownish reddish clot like discharge. She still has no kittens, but is still meowing a lot and very clingy still. Palpation doesn't feel like much, I can only feel maybe 1 or 2 kittens inside that aren't moving too much, very light movements. Attached is an image of when she sat on the couch and the discharge got on it. Please help me understand what could be happening IMG_20240221_033825_279.jpg

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there an emergency vet you could contact? I don't now much about kittens and pregnancy etc. but that doesn't look or sound normal at all. If there are only one or two kittens, she might need a C-section.
Please let us know how things are going when you can.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks like uterine material — very clotted. Possibly a buildup from where an embryo began to form but didn’t.

Is she still meowing and uncomfortable? Is she bleeding red blood? Do you see any contractions? Is this a first litter for her? Is she due now?

This may or may not be an emergency based on your answers.

O ohrlybasti

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I suppose she has dropped? If so, the kittens not moving much may easily be explained they are squizzed in the birthing channel.

Anyway, as you are aware, it no the usual.

That said, if your vet is any good at obstetrics, I would contact the vet, and let HIM/HER guess. Possibly even - rush her in.
Esp if she is still in distress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ohrlybasti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It looks like uterine material — very clotted. Possibly a buildup from where an embryo began to form but didn’t.

Is she still meowing and uncomfortable? Is she bleeding red blood? Do you see any contractions? Is this a first litter for her? Is she due now?

This may or may not be an emergency based on your answers.

O ohrlybasti
She comes out of her nest here and there to meow and all but will also walk around outside before coming back to her nest where she stays quietly. She does not seem in distress or meowing out of pain whenever she's in her nest. she's just laying and sleeping or just closing her eyes. There's no bleeding of red blood. I don't see any contractions either, even yesterday. Maybe 1 or 2 but really barely. It is supposedly her first litter and she is due given it's her 69th day now iirc.

She is however very clingy and anxious when she does walk out of her nest and she doesn't see me or I disappear for a bit, say to go pee or do a chore in the house. Just sounds like anxious meows when she comes out of her nest. But no meowing of pain or yowling

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She definitely sounds at the end of her pregnancy, and it’s good she’s not bleeding. However, based on her behavior as you describe, the stage of her pregnancy, and what she recently passed, I do think a vet appointment is in order asap. I suggest an X-ray to see what, if anything, may be left in her uterus. It will show any kittens and their stage of development. The vet should be able to discern through stethoscope if there are viable heartbeats if any kittens show on the X-ray.

I suspect she has miscarried parts of an unviable pregnancy. Her uterus may now be clear or she may have viable kittens still, or she may not but need a spay and/or antibiotics to clear infection.

I do think you need a vet now because her behavior indicates to me that she is not feeling well and that something is going on that needs medical attention to resolve.

Please get her seen ASAP and report back. At this point I think mom’s health situation is of utmost importance.

O ohrlybasti

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ohrlybasti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this isn't my first delivery, I've delivered 3 litters but with little to no difficulty whatsoever. This cat however has started meowing nonstop and looking for a nest about 12 hours ago of posting this. She kept following me around instead of looking for a nest but was still meowing a whole lot, some yowling too. Around 9 hours ago, we spent quite a really long time going around the house because she wasn't satisfied with anything. About 6 hours ago she finally settled but would still meow a lot, pant, and keep licking the genital area. I then noticed some reddish discharge that wouldn't drip down. She would then keep coming to and from the living room until an hour ago when I noticed a really long thick "cord" of brownish reddish clot like discharge. She still has no kittens, but is still meowing a lot and very clingy still. Palpation doesn't feel like much, I can only feel maybe 1 or 2 kittens inside that aren't moving too much, very light movements. Attached is an image of when she sat on the couch and the discharge got on it. Please help me understand what could be happeningView attachment 470846
Is there an emergency vet you could contact? I don't now much about kittens and pregnancy etc. but that doesn't look or sound normal at all. If there are only one or two kittens, she might need a C-section.
Please let us know how things are going when you can.
She definitely sounds at the end of her pregnancy, and it’s good she’s not bleeding. However, based on her behavior as you describe, the stage of her pregnancy, and what she recently passed, I do think a vet appointment is in order asap. I suggest an X-ray to see what, if anything, may be left in her uterus. It will show any kittens and their stage of development. The vet should be able to discern through stethoscope if there are viable heartbeats if any kittens show on the X-ray.

I suspect she has miscarried parts of an unviable pregnancy. Her uterus may now be clear or she may have viable kittens still, or she may not but need a spay and/or antibiotics to clear infection.

I do think you need a vet now because her behavior indicates to me that she is not feeling well and that something is going on that needs medical attention to resolve.

Please get her seen ASAP and report back. At this point I think mom’s health situation is of utmost importance.

O ohrlybasti
Hi everyone, would just like to thank you all for your help! It's been nearly 3 weeks since this thread was posted and I owe you all an update! She was able to give birth 24 hours after she started going into labor, and she gave birth to only 2 BIG guys! They're identical and super lovely and cute, and she probably struggled a lot because of how big they were, given they're only 2! She's safe, sound, and such a wonderful mother. Pics of her and her babies soon! Thank you all! No complications, just really long labor 🙏🏻