Brown tabby

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In another post I was asked to post some photos of brown tabbies that have been produced here from silver/golden breeding's. The first 2 photos are the parents - silver is the sire and golden the dam. The kitten is the brown tabby. In that litter we got a silver, 2 goldens and the brown tabby. Next is a golden sire, a silver dam (the silver from the previous litter) and the brown tabby kitten. The other brown tabbies have such poor coloring that it is difficult to even tell they are tabbies. Not to further confuse the matter, you could also get a golden tabby from this breeding (but that isn't a recognized color).

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So adorable! :redheartpump:

Do you happen to have pictures of the brown tabby babies after they grew up and their coats matured? I am just curious if the coats showed any wide banding effects as adults.

Silver and golden parents could be heterozygous for Wb, and therefore be able to produce brown tabby kittens without any wide band effect... and it's also quite possible (and perhaps likely) that there are multiple versions of Wb that have stronger effects, or cats that have multiple copies of Wb on a single chromosome. The Sundust cattery article uses the notation wb (allele with no wide banding), Wb (allele with some wide banding), Wb+, Wb++, etc.

If I had silver and golden cats, I would contact Leslie Lyons and see if her lab is still studying this and if they could use more samples!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitten 1 as an adult (Sorry not groomed)
Tabithas and Fenway Dec 2012.JPG
IMG_0746 (4).JPG
Kitten 2 as an adult You can’t see his markings well in this but he is a classic tabby. Tabithas and Fenway Dec 2012.JPG IMG_0746 (4).JPG

Last edited: