skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
View media item 190844
View media item 190845
View media item 190846
Hi everyone!

I have a kitten who has drastically changed his appearance since I found him. I found him at 14.5 ounces, vet figured him to be 8 weeks old at an underpass. He had a clean bill of health, no fleas, ticks, worms, parasites, FIV, leukemia, the perfect fluffy kitten.

He was a medium hair, brown/black fur and no tabby markings.

After a few weeks his fluff started to fall out and I thought he was just going through kitten uglies and losing his kitten coat. Then tabby markings showed up down his back and up his neck. Then all the fur on his body turned silver. His head/face (Minus tabby markings on his neck) and his legs from the "Elbow" down are solid black. It looks like he's wearing a little sweater. He's now short haired, very smooth coat.

I'm not sure what happened, or if this is just the cat he's meant to be. Any ideas? Will he fluff out when his adult coat comes in full? He's now about 17 weeks old and still looks a little "Funny" because his fur on his neck is super short making him look disproportionate.

Last edited by a moderator:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He looks like he is a black smoke maybe or a black shaded. Sorry I cant help you more than that i don't know much about smoke or shaded coat colours but I'm sure other people on here do.

Beautiful looking cat though

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he's shorthaired. Longhairs (no matter how long) have fluffy tails; that's usually how you can tell. He just had the young kitten fuzzies in the first pic, I think.

The silver coat could be a fever coat if he had bene sick before you got him. And black kittens usually have ghost tabby markings but his seem pretty un-ghostly, LOL. It's very interesting and I want to know how he turns out when he grows up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He doesn't appear to have been sick, in fact he's the healthiest little stray kitten I think anyone could ask for. How often do you pick a cat, or a kitten off the side of the road and they don't have SOMETHING, even fleas? He was malnourished though, that's why his name is Skeletor ! You could feel every little bone in his body.

Right now it looks like he's wearing a sweater. The silver is most prominent on his chest and his haunches. He's got two stripes down his back, the ones on his neck that so aren't subtle at all and then it's almost like he's got marbling on his flanks. It's so strange, he'll have circles where he has single white strands of fur (with the black) and then some that don't. His belly is mostly silver. He's a funky little baby, looking back at the pictures I can't believe he's the same cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skeletor

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got a video of my littlest and my biggest boy playing. You can see more of his silver belly coat in this one!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad has a black smoke kitty and she started out black with grey undertones, now she's an adult you can definitely see the silver underneath her top coat.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Animals can change quite a lot from youth to adulthood. My dad was born with bright blonde hair, but by the time he was at the end of elementary school, it had turned such a dark brown it was nearly black. This is probably just, as you say, the cat he's meant to be.

But he is certainly a very pretty one! I don't think I've ever seen a cat who looks quite like that. Very ethereal.