Brothers suddenly growling at each other

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My two kitten boys are 11 weeks old. This morning very early at 3 am we woke up to an awful noise and found out it was the kittens growling at each other and showing aggressive displays. It hadn't progressed into fighting but they wouldn't stop yowling at each other. We had to separate them in different rooms to get any sleep. The only thing different was that I bathed both boys yesterday and the shampoo I use has fragrance. In the morning they were both just fine like nothing happened. Is this normal?

ladyhitchhiker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats may not recognize each other or be upset by the smells. I remember one time I brought my cat Linus home from the vet, and Mandarin growled at him when he came home because he didn't recognize his smell. Funny the way cats are.

If the growling/fighting continues and it truly is out of character, it could be a sign that there is something wrong with them, though. Growling can sometimes be a sign that something medically is wrong, but it sounds to me like they don't like the smells...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They were fine last night. I think it was just that freshly washed smell that confused both of them. Silly boys.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad all is back to normal.

Another thing that could have set them off would be seeing another cat outside.

My cats watch out the window a lot in the night and there are quite a few critters passing by. It could have been another cat out there. When they can't get to the cat outside, they can turn on eachother.

Just another possibility. They can be pretty strange sometimes!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carlysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, because they are still small and like to wreck stuff if not watched closely, we keep them in the restroom at night so they didn't see outside. I really think that fresh smell just threw them off in the dark. I was worried they were going to start killing each other because of the sounds they were making.