Brothers from another…

Rayrayd8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I’ve recently adopted 2 kittens, both 3 months old and from different litters.

One is a tabby, not exactly sure what else. He has a long, long body. He likes to go on his hind legs to kind of stand up. He has big ears, and is very smart, extremely playful and loves to hunt/climb.

My other kitten is smoke gray. He’s very chill and seems petite compared to his brother. His face is small and he is very cute ( in my option)
The tabby wrestles little gray and little gray growls. I feel like he is hurting him, but they are bonded, clean each other and sleep together always. Tabby is so playful and he attacks standing up with his paws out to the side and up and pounces in gray.

question is breed? Just curious as I like researching and reading about all things cat. And will bigger kitten hurt little kitten? Lol. Thanks!!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hi,

I’ve recently adopted 2 kittens, both 3 months old and from different litters.

One is a tabby, not exactly sure what else. He has a long, long body. He likes to go on his hind legs to kind of stand up. He has big ears, and is very smart, extremely playful and loves to hunt/climb.

My other kitten is smoke gray. He’s very chill and seems petite compared to his brother. His face is small and he is very cute ( in my option)
The tabby wrestles little gray and little gray growls. I feel like he is hurting him, but they are bonded, clean each other and sleep together always. Tabby is so playful and he attacks standing up with his paws out to the side and up and pounces in gray.

question is breed? Just curious as I like researching and reading about all things cat. And will bigger kitten hurt little kitten? Lol. Thanks!!
Last photo here of tabby reveals it all: prolonged muzzle and big ears hints strongly; he has an Ancestry, its either an Orientale, or a Siamese modern type... Its twin breeds, so which we cant say for sure. Siameses are the more common, but being non point, its easier to say Orientale.
Mixed out siamese will be a non point.
So, he is nowhere to be a purebred, technically he will always be a domestic short hair, but he DOES has an Ancestor. Granddad perhaps.
The tabby type is classic tabby, as we see on the photo in next post. DSH, classic brown tabby with white.

Little Grey is very sweet, I do agree, but he doesnt have no visible Ancestor, just commoners as far as is visible...
Grey (or diluted black if you want) is called for blue in cat fancy language, so he is domestic short hair, solid blue.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rayrayd8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Stefan. When we adopted koala (grey cat) from a rescue, he was listed as a domestic. His siblings were all grey ( 2 were a lighter shade of grey and some with stripes).

His eyes were blue green to start. Now they are turning green. His paws are a mauve colour, thought he could be half Russian Blue.

Thanks again!

I can see my tabby having that background you mentioned. Such a mix. I love his big ears.

Attachments

Rayrayd8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply Stefan. When we adopted koala (grey cat) from a rescue, he was listed as a domestic. His siblings were all grey ( 2 were a lighter shade of grey and some with stripes).

Do all grey cats have the same colour paws?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

To my shame Im a little unsure... Purple paws are certainly common, but not always... So, not all grey cats have purple pads.
Not even the mauve pads typical for Russian blue are exclusive for RB...

Anyway, if your boy has both mauve pads AND green eyes, I suppose you can see him as a look alike to a pet quality Russian blue... - Why, his looks may perhaps become "better" when adult.. So lets see the development. :) I remember our Vagis got a much better and RB typical skull as adult....
If you dont watch out, he may even BE a pet quality RB.... :)

Although I do have mixed feelings here... Why discuss if a nice, sweet cat in his own right, is really a very pet quality purebred??
I feel its diminishing said domestic, whom has the right to be loved and respected on his own...
Although, simultaneously, I want very much to give every child, human or cat, connection to its ancestry.. This too is important for me...

Some stripes are common on solid colored cats; these so called ghost markings... Usually they more or less disapperar with time. This can be seen even on russian blue...

Rayrayd8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

To my shame Im a little unsure... Purple paws are certainly common, but not always... So, not all grey cats have purple pads.
Not even the mauve pads typical for Russian blue are exclusive for RB...

Anyway, if your boy has both mauve pads AND green eyes, I suppose you can see him as a look alike to a pet quality Russian blue... - Why, his looks may perhaps become "better" when adult.. So lets see the development. :) I remember our Vagis got a much better and RB typical skull as adult....
If you dont watch out, he may even BE a pet quality RB.... :)

Although I do have mixed feelings here... Why discuss if a nice, sweet cat in his own right, is really a very pet quality purebred??
I feel its diminishing said domestic, whom has the right to be loved and respected on his own...
Although, simultaneously, I want very much to give every child, human or cat, connection to its ancestry.. This too is important for me...

Some stripes are common on solid colored cats; these so called ghost markings... Usually they more or less disapperar with time. This can be seen even on russian blue...
Yes, I agree with you, and I love him just the same. They are rescues and I didn’t care about breed when choosing them, I just wanted to add some new members to our family. It’s only now that I am curious about their history and cat genes. I am equally interested in learning about human genetics and take pride in my own mixed Asian and European heritage…people will say to me, why are you so tall? Where do you get your skin colour from, ect. For my cats, I don’t expect to know exactly what they are mixed with, but if there are specific characteristics that help to narrow down the origins, I’m happy to hear.
Thanks again, Stefan!!