Brother Is So Invasive The Sister Doesn't Poop

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, there

I'm back with my cat's "bullying" issues. The main problem he poses is that every time he hears or sees his sister go to the bathroom, he rushes to check it out and bother her while she goes. She hates it and either stops what she's doing or hesitates to go in the first place. The sister is healthy, there are two boxes in the apartment (although they only use one), and I tried Feliway. He's overall ill-mannered for I don't know what reason -- and I'm sick of the behavior.

The sister gets constipated and weird, dry and crumbly stools because she holds it in and doesn't go every day. I see her sometimes go in the box, scratch and then hesitate and go back out. She even sometimes starts going and then runs away and finishes pooping while running. Ugh!!! I brought her to the vet twice for her constipation and he's been trying to help with the behavior, and gave me meds to soften the business so she *has* to go more often. I'm worried she's going to have health issues at some point and that she'll start going outside of the box. Right now it got messy because I got mad at the brother, pulled him out of the box which proceeded to scare the sister and she fled from the box.

Are there any tips you can share before I seriously start thinking about rehoming one of them? I love my cats a lot and they are good together otherwise, but this behavior is unacceptable and doesn't look like it can be fixed.

Please help, I'm so over this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Can you install a cat flap in a door that's set to open to a chip on her collar or her info microchip (not sure what all is available on the market)? His litter box will have to be elsewhere, but something like this might work.
That would be a good idea... I wonder if that exists.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it doesn't you can get a wooden cat furniture to put her box in and install a regular cat door with the chip ability in it's door.

Here is the info from another post I made. It's possible looking at the cat furniture you'll be able to make one yourself.

I found nice litter box covering furniture on Amazon It is pricey and might be something for later. It's $61. This is what it looks like

Put this in the search to read about it.

Chewy.com (they deliver) has one for $50. on this page
Trixie Wooden Cat Home & Litter Box Cover, Brown - Chewy.com

Here is what it looks like. It's the same without the railing, by the same company.

Merry Pet Cat Washroom/Night Stand Pet House

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it doesn't you can get a wooden cat furniture to put her box in and install a regular cat door with the chip ability in it's door. [...]
It doesn't exist, apart from one project from a few years ago that would amount to 300 bucks anyway. Thanks a lot! I didn't think something like that would be possible. I'll look into it illico presto. Did the cat(s) who wasn't allowed in that box naturally use the other one(s) available?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cat who doesn't have the micro key to the door would have to use the other box. He might sulk a little but that would because he couldn't bother his sister. It's not as though he wants to use the box with her (does he?) He just wants to annoy her and in the box he's got her trapped.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found on on Amazon. Put the item title in the search I can't get Amazon's addys to work for some reason. It's smaller than it looks in the item picture. it has a picture on the side with a cat in it in a brick wall.

Here is the info for one

SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap in White

by SureFlap

4.0 out of 5 stars 416 customer reviews | 203 answered questions Amazon's Choice for "sureflap microchip pet door"
Price: $90.43 Free Shipping for Prime Members

Size: Small

• Prevents intruder animals entering your home.
  • Compatible with all common microchips and RFID collar tags.
  • Can be installed in doors, windows or walls - accessories available
  • Requires four AA batteries which last up to a year. Store up to 32 pets with simple one-button programming
  • Door opening 4 3/4" H x 5 5/8" W

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make the piece of furniture using plywood. Measure your litter box add four inches to all sides. Decide on the height you want. Pick one wall to be the front and install the cat door. You will connect the walls to each other with L hinges/joints - they are flat pieces of metal shaped like an L with four holes in them for screws. Get the large ones. You'll need 8.

You can put a floor in if you want by using more hinges put them at the corners so it will be stable and not wobble. Put the box together then measure for the floor. Do the same for the top. Unlike the floor the top which will cover all the edges of the walls, will need regular hinges similar to the ones you see on doors. I'd put a handle on it to make opening it easy.

You can get Home Depot or Lowes to cut the plywood for you. I'd use 1/2 inch as it is sturdier than 1/4, but it's up to you, of course. Take a couple of pieces of sandpaper with you and sand the edges before you put them in your car. The edges have splinters until sanded.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the detailed response! Reading about it makes it sound complicated, but I think I can do it... I just need to make the time for it.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Other supplies - more sand paper, paint or stain (see below) screws (see below)

Do it one step at a time. One one day measure the size you need -- measure it three times. Then do it again the next morning. On another day go buy the wood and hinges (they may have a different name - L shaped brackets. Here is a picture from Amazon and what to put in the search to find them.

Corner Brace Set (Also know as - Corner Braces, L Bracket, angle Brackets, Right angle bracket, L shaped bracket, angle brace, metal angle brackets, angle brackets, angle support brackets) by TEJATAN They come in many sizes

I know some of the cat furniture opens on the side to allow you to clean the litter box and change it. That would be the easest way to clean it. If you want to do that, rather than putting the L brackets on that wall, put the hinges similar to those on a door.

To search on Amazon
18 Pack of Door Hinges Satin Nickel - 3.5" x 3.5" Inch Interior Hinges for Doors Brushed Nickel with 5/8" Radius Corners

Hint - count up the number of screws you need, then buy a dozen extra. They aren't that expensive and it's maddening to not have enough. They will come in useful in the future.

It's easier to buy the pre-made furniture, though some say it isn't all that. The positive is you can usually put it together in one evening and your little girl will have the privacy she needs faster.

When you make it yourself you get to have more options. Which brings up painting or staining the wood. I prefer to stain it because you can still see the pattern in the wood. Even plywood has interesting patterns in it. If you've never done staining before - lighten the color by brushing it on then wiping it off with paper towels. You might get an extra piece of wood, you'll probably get them when they cut the sheets of plywood for you. Practice on them. I prefer to stain the wood before putting the piece together. Painting works okay either way.
Let it dry for at least 24 hours before doing another coat if you are using paint. Sand between coats.

Take your time, relax. This can be fun, it can even be a new hobby for you.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about planning for the future. I think it would be a good idea to either get a rubber mat - the kind you put in a shower or tub to avoid slipping to put on the floor inside the litter house - I'd do it whether I made it myself or bought the house. If you can get a large enough mat it should come a few inches up each of the walls, though not interfering with the door. This will take care of those 'accidents' when kit misses the box. This will keep the urine from soaking into the wood. Accidents happen when cats are startled or ill. If the mat is white, it will let you know if she has blood in her urine and needs to see the vet.

If you don't want to bother with the mat inside the box - I'd at least put it under the house.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you install a cat flap in a door that's set to open to a chip on her collar or her info microchip (not sure what all is available on the market)? His litter box will have to be elsewhere, but something like this might work.
Well, you and K Kflowers have already given her ALL of the information I was scrambling to find as I read the original post! Yanaka Yanaka , you are in excellent paws hands.

Having a slightly twisted sense of humor, I'd add a small sign over the entry that says, "GIRLZ ONLY NO BOYZ ALLOWED!" or simply, "Ladies' Room."

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't suppose your girl is smaller than your boy? If by any fair amount, you could test door stops that would allow her into a room with a litterbox he couldn't get to?

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. This will have to be a summer project, because I have 0 time to build this! Right now what happens is that she goes to the bathroom in the evening and I scold Salmon whenever he even moves to go see what she's doing. She's been pooping more often with this policing, even though it's not the best solution long-term... Thank you for the tremendous help.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a good solution. You may have her trained to wait until evening, which some can do, and him trained to back off. I don't think he's being mean, I suspect he considers it playing. You are the 'mom cat' setting the rules. They do remember rules and usually, after awhile, stick to them. I've gone into a room with six cats doing different things and said, "no." in that voice. The one cat who is doing something he shouldn't stops, the rest go on about what they were doing. (He was playing with the TV wires. I knew you'd want to know what it was.)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS. If you can afford the furniture I'd buy it. Then you just have to fit the microchip recognition door into it. That may involve the use of a saw. If you do buy the piece of furniture, I'd buy a couple of the L brackets in case brother dearest decides to jump on top of it. His weight might give it the wobbles. Just put one in each corner top and bottom.