Broken Leg

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
has anyone ever had a kitten with a broken leg? I'm thinking of adopting a rescue that came into my work with a broken leg. He is going to have surgery today probably. I have a cat room I would keep him in, he is small, probably just 8 weeks. I would keep him in that room till he heals, but I do have another kitten that uses that room. Thinking best bet would be to put the kitten with the broken leg in the "cat" room, and putting a litter box and food for my current kitten in the bathroom next door. The cat room has nothing he could climb on so I wouldn't have to worry about him jumping on something and jumping back off. Wondering if anyone has experienced having a kitten with a broken leg. Any tips on care and also introductions to current kitten and 3 dogs? Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also if my kitten and the new guy get along during the introduction time, I have a way to block the room off from the dogs that would let Charlie go in and out and keep the broken leg guy in the room. Wondering if I should do that if they get along or just keep them totally separate until healed, however that could be a long time. I don't want the new guy to be too lonely.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's tough when a kitten has this issue, because, as you said, they should be calm, no jumping, rough housing, etc., and as kittens, that's what they normally do :sigh:. Depending on how bad the break is, and how well they are able to cast it, if at all, you may need to actually keep him in a large dog crate to really minimize his activity :frown:.

I would think it best NOT to have him be with another kitten, simply because I would think they would want to PLAY! But, before doing much of anything, I would thoroughly discuss his recovery and how best to handle it with your Vet. Does this room have a window in it? Does the window have a sill? If so, is it high enough that the kitten cannot jump up there? These are all things to take into consideration. Luckiy young kittens cannot jump very high, so this may be a blessing. You may be able to somewhat entertain him with cat videos (birds, etc) and cat cds (yes they make them!) But if he has a dog crate, you an actually move him from room to room and he can be with the rest of the family as he heals.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Snowhite525

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with mrsgreenjeens....I took a kitty under my wing awhile back that had a shattered leg and was in a cast for weeks on end. We bought a huge black wire pop up kennel with two doors to keep her in while we weren't around to supervise her. We also had bowls for her food and water that attached to the side - so she wouldn't knock them over with her cast and a low litter box that she could easily access. Maybe something like that would work well for your kitten?