Broken jaw recovery - tips and tricks for me?

FatPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here. My beloved 12 year old had a trauma to the face and has broken his jaw in 3 places. We expect him to come home on Wednesday and know that he'll have a frame over his face where his jaw has been wired shut.
For those of you who have cared for a cat recovering from a broken jaw, please tell me everything you learned to make their recovery easier. For example.
  • Is tube feeding really hard for us or uncomfortable for them? We've been told to get Royal Canine Recovery fluid (sooo expensive)
  • Did they still enjoy any kind of play?
  • How did you groom your kitty? I don't want him to feel he's unclean.
  • Is there anything else I should watch out for? I just want him to be happy and heal.
Thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Your poor baby!! Lots of members have used feeding tubes - for various reasons - for their cats. From all that I have read on this site, once you get the hang of it, it is very easy/simple for you and your cat.

Here are some previous threads (see links below) from members who have taken care of a cat with a broken jaw - hopefully you will find them helpful until others actually come along and see your post and respond directly to you with their first hand tips!

How Do I Care For A Cat With Broken Jaw?
https://thecatsite.com/threads/our-kitty-was-attacked-fractured-lower-jaw-and-head-trauma-need-advice.401655/
Jaw Surgery - Help Getting Him To Eat Or Drink
Cat Hit By Car, Broken Dislodged Jaw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FatPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Yes, thank you. I did read all the threads when I joined, some useful things!
I'm keen for anyone to reflect on their recovery period, with all manner of it. Not just feeding tubes. Like, how do I wash or comb him (he's very fluffy). He also has a low grade lymphoma so I need to keep the feeding tube site completely clear of infection.
The vet has also told us to buy wirecutters in case he ever looks like he will vomit - we'd have to remove the wiring straight away.

And is the cat generally unhappy the whole time, or do they get used to having their jaw shut? Aww my poor baby

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feeding tubes are well tolerated. Here's some info: Feeding Tubes For Cats

The recovery food would be best to get nutrients into the cat but you can also include some pate canned food that has been watered down a bit so it's soupy enough to not clog the feeding tube. A food processor or blender works to get a soup texture but just mashing the food with a spoon works too.

Brushing your cat and using pet wipes or unscented baby wipes will help keep the cat fairly cleaned and groomed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FatPanda

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He didn't make it. I am devastated beyond words. The centre of my universe has gone. I have known him a third of my life.
He was doing so well with his feeding tube etc. He got used to it. Then he had his stitches out (chin) and somehow contracted a stomach bug. He did the one thing that you can't do with a jaw frame and vomited. We knew the risk but thought it would be low. However a teeny droplet of vomit must've got into his lungs and he aspirated. It all happened so quickly, and with his compromised immune system (he was in remission from lymphoma) he couldn't fight it all at once.

We did everything for him. He was with a top vet when it happened, but we weren't there and that kills me. I am so lost. I can't eat or sleep. He's all we had.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so, so sorry.

If/when you are ready, please pay tribute to him in the Crossing the Bridge section of this site. You can share pics of him, give us his name, and tell us any stories that you would like to memorialize/honor him with there. It's a loving way to pay homage to him that we can all share with you.