Broken front leg

jr70895

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stray cat came along with what i'm sure is a broken right leg. She won't allow anyone to get close to her. I have a net and can try and catch her. The problem is I'm a senior on a fixed income and can't afford vet bills. I called around and vets in this area want $150 just to look at not including x-ray and treatment.
I just can't afford that. Is this something that might heal on its own? I've mentioned to the vets I called about the financial situation but all they care about is money. One of the pictures shows what appears to be where the bone has penetrated the leg, Another picture shows fluid dripping out.
Any suggetions? I'm sure she's in pain.

Thanks

Attachments

terricacatwood

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thank you for wanting to help this injured cat. Is there a local humane society or no-kill animal shelter in your area that you could contact to see if they would take the cat in? I’m also concerned that attempting to catch a cat with a net could be difficult and stressful, for both you and the cat. If its leg is already badly injured and it struggles in a net it could injure itself further. Are there any feral cat organizations or people who do Trap/Neuter/Return in your area that you could reach out to for help trapping this cat? I’m not sure where you’re located and if it’s the type of place that has these kinds of resources. Good luck!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is a long shot, but can you call a local low cost spay/neuter clinic and see if they have any links to a vet who might be able to offer you suggestions? Her expression looks so sweet in these pictures I wonder if she's actually more tame than she lets on because she's injured.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a Vetrinary school near you? Calling there might get her some help. Humane Societies and rescue groups often help with trapping. IF you can not do anything else, you can try calling animal control without giving detailed info and feel them out about helping her. Many will simply trap but some actually care and may offer a lead or further help. Some animal control places, like the one here, have contacts with the county shelter and here the shelter would get her to a vet. You can only know by making calls and asking. If you have any concerns that she might not be helped the way you want, don’t give her location and simply hang up. If anyone says they cannot help, ask if they know anyone who can. Even asking a vet if they can provide some antibiotics might be possible. Some vets will fo this for ferals and some will not. Sending photos to vets might help. Last resort might be physically going to the vet and while the waiting room is full, make pleas on her behalf. The more people who hear, the more chance of someone stepping up. I have seen this in action where someone overheard and did something. Local vets should know about local rescue groups. Ask. If there is a place that holds adoption events on weekends, that is another good place to find rescue groups and people who care. Places like Petsmart here hold those adoption events on some Saturdays. We’ll keep thinking and you keep trying but please let us know what’s happening. Are you in the U.S.?