broken foot

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its been awhile. but I'm worried. Oscar slept with us last night. We woke up this morning and his right foot is swollen. He just doesn't look very good. He is not putting any pressure on it. He is just moping around, laying on it. Is it possible to give him a baby aspirin? There is only 2 vets open today. On is the college Emgerency Vet services( kinda expensive). His normal vet is open on monday.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I understand money is an issue but he needs the ER vet straight away, my Fudge broke her leg and I didn't realise it was broken, I waited until the next day to take her to the vets to "see how she went on" and unfortunately it was a bad break and it ended up resulting in her losing her leg. Never take chances, my vets were very understanding about cash flow and they let me pay bit by bit. I hope things work out okay.xx

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What about the other vet can you not get him there sounds like he needs to see a vet I wouldn't give him anything until you have at least spoken to a vet

I hope Oscar feels better soon

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No to the baby Aspirin, it is highly toxic for cats, and yes for taking him to the ER... Good lucky with your baby...

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by newkittymom06

The thing with the other vet is i know nothing about them.
I think in this situation its critical you take him, its only like us going to hospital and knowing nothing about the doctor we see, I know its preferred that we know backround but in an emergency its got to be done.x

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

I think in this situation its critical you take him, its only like us going to hospital and knowing nothing about the doctor we see, I know its preferred that we know backround but in an emergency its got to be done.x
I completely agree

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm waiting for the call back from the vet. We will see. Thanks for the all suggestions. I guess its easier to hear what to do from the outside. ( does that make sense)

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm waiting for the call back from the vet. We will see. Thanks for the all suggestions. I guess its easier to hear what to do from the outside. ( does that make sense)
That completely makes sense, I think we all find ourselves askin advice, no matter what, just to make sure the decision that we want to make is the correct one. This just worried me as I said my Fudge lost her leg due to a break, I wouldn't want to see it happen to another kitty. Good luck and please keep us updated.xx

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
From the description, I wonder if it might not be an abcess on his foot.

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar has an appointment at 2:45central time. What the on call at on the vets i called said to do i don't think really helped.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The vet said it was a puncture wound. So she gave me some suggestions on what to do

Oscar has an appointment at 2:45central time. What the on call at on the vets i called said to do i don't think really helped.
Ok.... ?
So was there an abscess? What did the vet say to do? Is this cat being treated in any way? Getting better? The same?
On the first post he was seen by a vet... On the second post he was waiting for an appointment... So on the first post he had been seen by the on call vet? Is that it?
Sorry, I am just trying to understand what is going on here... There is little to no information in between what seems to be 2 vet visits?
Can you update us? We care about your baby...

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My take was the first just gave her advice over the phone. And she didnt find the advice right so is going to another vet in person at 2:45 for an actual exam

Hope alls ok and something simple to fix. Tho if the first vet just said that over phone I would be worried no antibiotics/source of the wound.

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oscar regular vet took temperature said it was 103.1 (not bad enough to worry) it looked the wound was starting to scab up. The door said it either was not that bad of a bite or i caught it in time. He gave Oscar a shot of antibotics(i'm guessing) and he gave me an antibotic that i'm supposed to give to him 2 a day till its not.
Vet also told him that cat bites are very dangerous and can get infected fast.

Oscar is not limping as much as he was, and he is back to his regular self.

Thanks everyone for the help

newkittymom06

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
On the first post he was seen by a vet... On the second post he was waiting for an appointment... So on the first post he had been seen by the on call vet? Is that it?

The first one was the over the phone vet consultation. Then I took him in Monday (11/22/10) and that was his vet and the results is above in the other post.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok... thanks for clarifying... I am guessing the shot was for Convenia (antibiotic)?
Also, only 2 days of oral antibiotics? which one is that?
I am glad he is on the mends... And yes, it is true... cat bites can be nasty...
I am guessing he is an outdoor kitty then? Is he up to date on all his shots?