Broke Down And Bought An Electric Meat Grinder

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For those familiar, I used an inexpensive manual grinder to make a couple batches of homemade. It really works pretty well but since the homemade is working out well with my cat I decided just to make life a little easier and buy an electric. I was going to buy the Tasin as some recommend on this site but I went another direction. I decided to go with a model that had a stainless steel auger, feed tube and tray in addition to having SS plates and blade. I bought a Lem #8 Big Bite Grinder. Amazon sells them for $289 and, luckily, Home Depot also sells them for the same price so seeing that I already had a nice Home Depot gift card to use toward the purchase, it made sense to go that route. I think you have to go up to the Lem #12 for a "bone" rated grinder. But I'd bet this #8 would grind chicken bone without a problem. It's a moot point anyway, since I won't be grinding any bone.

Honestly, I feel like a nut job for spending the extra money to make cat food but what the heck if it makes the task a little quicker and easier.

I'll update on how it goes after I use it. May be a couple of weeks though as I just made a batch this past weekend. In the meantime, if anyone has any feedback on the Lem grinders, feel free to chime in.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those familiar, I used an inexpensive manual grinder to make a couple batches of homemade. It really works pretty well but since the homemade is working out well with my cat I decided just to make life a little easier and buy an electric. I was going to buy the Tasin as some recommend on this site but I went another direction. I decided to go with a model that had a stainless steel auger, feed tube and tray in addition to having SS plates and blade. I bought a Lem #8 Big Bite Grinder. Amazon sells them for $289 and, luckily, Home Depot also sells them for the same price so seeing that I already had a nice Home Depot gift card to use toward the purchase, it made sense to go that route. I think you have to go up to the Lem #12 for a "bone" rated grinder. But I'd bet this #8 would grind chicken bone without a problem. It's a moot point anyway, since I won't be grinding any bone.

Honestly, I feel like a nut job for spending the extra money to make cat food but what the heck if it makes the task a little quicker and easier.

I'll update on how it goes after I use it. May be a couple of weeks though as I just made a batch this past weekend. In the meantime, if anyone has any feedback on the Lem grinders, feel free to chime in.
Nut job? I must belong in an asylum then lol. I've invested in the Tasin, chest freezer for cat food storage, several cases of Mason jars and a couple of other accessories.

I'm thinking that grinder would work fine for non-bone. But the tasin is cheaper and rated for soft bone. I'll be looking forward to your review though. Congrats on homemade working out for you kitty!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nut job? I must belong in an asylum then lol. I've invested in the Tasin, chest freezer for cat food storage, several cases of Mason jars and a couple of other accessories.

I'm thinking that grinder would work fine for non-bone. But the tasin is cheaper and rated for soft bone. I'll be looking forward to your review though. Congrats on homemade working out for you kitty!
Yeah, without the $100 gift card, the Tasin would have been a lot cheaper. With the gift card, it's 20 bucks cheaper (when the Tasin is not on sale). But the bottom line is that I really preferred the fact that the Lem has a stainless steel feed tube and auger. If I needed to grind bone, I would have bought the Tasin. The Lem #12 is $150 more than the Lem #8 and I couldn't justify the extra if I needed something rated to grind bone.