British Shorthair Cats Question

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi everyone.
Do any of you own a British shorthair cat? I’m sure you’re out there. Can anyone tell me from experience when they stop growing? I know they most likely grow past the age of 1 but how much? I know it says everywhere they continue to grow until 3 or something like that. I’d like to hear from someone who actually witnessed it. Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It may take a minute for one of our BSH folks to find this, so until then, yes. They do not reach their adult size until the age of three. MOST of the growth takes place in the first year, but slow, steady growth continues after that. However, they aren't considered fully mature until age five, which may be why they tend to be very long-lived.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It may take a minute for one of our BSH folks to find this, so until then, yes. They do not reach their adult size until the age of three. MOST of the growth takes place in the first year, but slow, steady growth continues after that. However, they aren't considered fully mature until age five, which may be why they tend to be very long-lived.
Thank you!!! I’d really love to compare notes with a fellow British shorthair owner. My cats still are eating so much. It’s fine if they are still growing I don’t want to limit them too much. I’m hoping a fellow owner will see this and respond

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:yeah:
I've had four BSHs (two pairs of brothers) over the years, but I'm afraid it's been so long now since they were kittens (the last passed away, aged 14, early last year) that I'm not sure that I can help you much.

I currently have a pair of one year old Russian Blues, one of whom is already bigger (taller/longer) than any of my BSH were! Their growth rate and appetite have slowed up some, but their paw size says they still have a fair amount of growing to do. I hope this helps a bit.:catman:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:yeah:
I've had four BSHs (two pairs of brothers) over the years, but I'm afraid it's been so long now since they were kittens (the last passed away, aged 14, early last year) that I'm not sure that I can help you much.
I currently have a pair of one year old Russian Blues, one of whom is already bigger (taller/longer) than any of my BSH were! Their growth rate and appetite have slowed up some, but their paw size says they still have a fair amount of growing to do. I hope this helps a bit.:catman:
Thank you for that!!! I would like to find out if reality matches what the breed profile says. Hopefully someone will chime in

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm just mostly interested to know if they are still growing now that they are over a year old bc they still want to eat a lot.

aolani

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
61D5B3C3-74A5-436B-8E85-63765E43DD20.jpeg
Lani and Mochi are both Scottish fold/BSH. Lani is the larger female on the left and Mochi is the smaller male on the right. Lani is 2 years old and Mochi is a 1 year old. Males typically grow larger, so as you can see Mochi has a lot more growing to do at a year old. Lani still eats as if she has more growing to do also. They are not pure BSH, but hope this helps some.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
F96E5985-AF86-4474-9417-2230F0CAB770.jpeg
Oh my gosh they are adorable! I love those Scottish fold ears! So precious. Thank you for your reply. My boy is bigger than my girl. He is about 12&1/2 pounds at just about 1 year old. She is about 10 pounds. They both eat just as much as when they were kittens. He is on top she is on the bottom.

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hi everyone.
Do any of you own a British shorthair cat? I’m sure you’re out there. Can anyone tell me from experience when they stop growing? I know they most likely grow past the age of 1 but how much? I know it says everywhere they continue to grow until 3 or something like that. I’d like to hear from someone who actually witnessed it. Thank you.
Hi I currently own and absolutely adore my two male bsh kitten who are both one yr old I have a silver spotted n a silver tabby I have heard they stop growing at 3 years old I will put their pics up

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi I currently own and absolutely adore my two male bsh kitten who are both one yr old I have a silver spotted n a silver tabby I have heard they stop growing at 3 years old I will put their pics up
Hi. Thank you for your response. My two are a year old as well. I have a boy and a girl. I adore them too!! They are just the coolest cats. Such personalities!! How much do your boys weigh? Do they still eat a ton?

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
Hi. Thank you for your response. My two are a year old as well. I have a boy and a girl. I adore them too!! They are just the coolest cats. Such personalities!! How much do your boys weigh? Do they still eat a ton?
do you know I don't know what they weigh at the mo but will be going to vets in next two weeks for their annual vaccinations so will get them weighed then do you know how much yours weigh. Do you live in uk

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WhT do you feed your two on the brand of cat food
Oh my goodness they are adorable!! . I don't live in the U.K. I'm in the United States so our brands of cat food are probably different from yours but I feed mine an all wet food diet. They don't get any dry food at all. They never liked it in the first place. My boy weights 12.5 pounds and the girl is around 10 pounds. Do yours eat a lot? Mine eat so much. Little piggies

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness they are adorable!! . I don't live in the U.K. I'm in the United States so our brands of cat food are probably different from yours but I feed mine an all wet food diet. They don't get any dry food at all. They never liked it in the first place. My boy weights 12.5 pounds and the girl is around 10 pounds. Do yours eat a lot? Mine eat so much. Little piggies
No they don't eat as much as they did, they are on very good quality high meat content not dried either I can't wait to find out how much mine weigh there names are Luther n Zeus what are yours named. are you on twitter if so whats the name n I will follow you

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
View attachment 232922 Oh my gosh they are adorable! I love those Scottish fold ears! So precious. Thank you for your reply. My boy is bigger than my girl. He is about 12&1/2 pounds at just about 1 year old. She is about 10 pounds. They both eat just as much as when they were kittens. He is on top she is on the bottom.
Awww yours are gawjus too

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww yours are gawjus too
Thank you. My boy is Milo and my girl is Buttercup. They are brother and sister. They are the complete opposite of each other. Except for 1 thing... they are food hounds. If yours don’t eat as much mine must be broken :flail:

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How much do you feed them ? You can give it to me in grams I’m originally from Europe :biggrin::thumbsup: