British Short-hair Size

jared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, i have a male british shot-hair cat and i have a question about his size, he's 11 months old and I'm waiting for him to be 1 year old exactly to get him neutered ( following  vet advise ). Yeah well the question is how big he's going to get as he's already 13,5 pounds at 11 months, thanks:)

edit: He is not fat.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, i have a male british shot-hair cat and i have a question about his size, he's 11 months old and I'm waiting for him to be 1 year old exactly to get him neutered ( following  vet advise ). Yeah well the question is how big he's going to get as he's already 13,5 pounds at 11 months, thanks:)

Weird advice from the vet IMHO...... Waiting this long can get him set on some pretty bad behavior - aggression, spraying, peeing outside of the box...... And the longer he stays hormonal and with these behaviors, the worst it is to break the bad habits. There is absolutely no reason to wait beyond 12weeks to neuter - I am afraid you didn't get proper advice..... at all..... If I were you, I would hurry and neuter this boy as fast as I could..... You are lucky if you are not having trouble with him yet :cross:

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What does he eat? How much of it? How often? Do you have pictures of him you can post?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
well i read this all over the internet but in my country( :D ) its every vet told me that cat should not be neutered before 1 year coz of urinary tract is not fully developed and it usually cause alot of problems

jared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

The first 1 is 2 months old the second 1 is a month old, he doesnt eat that much i think: 1 package of standart cat meal and some granules (hope its called like that) if i give him more he wont eat it and sometimes boiled chicken

edit: he's really grown alot since the fist picture, hes head is alot wider now

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he is a cutie :heart3: and so is your kid :wavey:
Do you have an idea of how much kibbles do you give him (the granules)?

Do you feed him on a schedule, or you just give him as much as he wants to eat? The chicken is good, but if you give it raw is much better - just rinse the outside of the meat, and give it to him - he will love it, and it is much more nutritious than cooked! :nod:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh he is a cutie :heart3: and so is your kid :wavey:
Do you have an idea of how much kibbles do you give him (the granules)?
Do you feed him on a schedule, or you just give him as much as he wants to eat? The chicken is good, but if you give it raw is much better - just rinse the outside of the meat, and give it to him - he will love it, and it is much more nutritious than cooked! :nod:
(I for one, an switching all my cats to raw meat only - they are eating a mix of raw meat, organs and bone - and that's all they are going to eat - no kibbles, not packets, nothing else...... they are doing fantastic!! :D)

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, that's not true at all. Most people over here in the US get their cats neutered well before that. I got mine neutered when he was 4 months old, and he's perfectly fine. IMO you'll have more problems the longer you wait to neuter him, not the other way around. (You know not to declaw him, right?)

If you want, you can click the red flag at the bottom of your post, and in the box that pops up, ask the moderator to move this to the Breeders' Corner. You'll probably get more information about British Shorthairs there; there's at least one person here at TCS who breeds them and might be able to estimate his size. :wavey:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, that's not true at all. Most people over here in the US get their cats neutered well before that. I got mine neutered when he was 4 months old, and he's perfectly fine. IMO you'll have more problems the longer you wait to neuter him, not the other way around. (You know not to declaw him, right?)
If you want, you can click the red flag at the bottom of your post, and in the box that pops up, ask the moderator to move this to the Breeders' Corner. You'll probably get more information about British Shorthairs there; there's at least one person here at TCS who breeds them and might be able to estimate his size. :wavey:
:yeah: The longer you wait, IMHO, the more problems you have..... You will not have differences from country to country...... He is still a kitty :D
Maybe vets advise it differently..... But that doesn't mean he will have different problems over there.... Usually here kittens are neutered around 12 weeks old before leaving the breeders...... and they do just fine :wavey:

jared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you want, you can click the red flag at the bottom of your post, and in the box that pops up, ask the moderator to move this to the Breeders' Corner. You'll probably get more information about British Shorthairs there; there's at least one person here at TCS who breeds them and might be able to estimate his size.
yeah i believe you but my vet said that alot of cats most of them actually that he neutered before 1 year old have those urinery tract problems and such and alot other people confirm me that so i'm gonna trust him on that

Last edited:

jared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yeah well anyway:) anyone about the size ?:)

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
 Welcome to TCS, he does look like a big boy but not fat or anything to me,I think he must just be big. I can't advise you any much more as I'm not good on breeds of cats. He probably will grow a bit more,my nan has 2 cats who are massive,they make my cats look like dwarves
 but they aren't fat and they don't eat massive amounts,must just be in their genes.x

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5kg-8kg (11-17.5lb) is the average male Brit weight over here

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5kg-8kg (11-17.5lb) is the average male Brit weight over here
Yeah, that's pretty much it. My adult Brit males weigh 5,5kg and 6,5kg. Solid colors and tabbies tend to be a bit larger than shaded silvers or chinchillas for example.

I would advice to get him neutered as soon as possible, when/if he starts to mark his territory it will be a nightmare to deal with.. It's the food quality that plays the biggest role in urinary health in cats. (I've had an adult un-neutered male who had UTI and struvite crystals because his previous owner only fed him royal canin dry foods, he was also 6kg).

Last edited:

jared

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the replies, but i actually know the average size of british short-hair, i just wanted to know if there is a way of telling how big hes gonna be as an adult as hes already 13,5 pounds as 11 months old, i heard that they mature at 3-4 years or so, I was just curious :)

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get somekind of idea about his size if you know how large his parents and possible adult siblings are.

Then again for example my British Longhair male and his shorthair brother are a lot bigger than their father and their mother isn't huge either.