Bringing Outdoor Cat In, Concerns

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My out door feral cat has been coming in my house after having him outside for six years. But I noticed he has been shaking is tail sometimes. Does that mean he is spraying his mark. I would love to make him an indoor cat but I don't want him to spray. I do have an indoor cat also. He does have a clipped ear when he came to me 6 years ago. What can I do to stop him from doing that. Also it was a nice day out today and my indoor cat was getting along with the outside cat when I had the screen in. They know there smells . I am wondering if they would fight if I had them in the same room?

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My out door feral cat has been coming in my house after having him outside for six years. But I noticed he has been shaking is tail sometimes. Does that mean he is spraying his mark. I would love to make him an indoor cat but I don't want him to spray. I do have an indoor cat also. He does have a clipped ear when he came to me 6 years ago. What can I do to stop him from doing that. Also it was a nice day out today and my indoor cat was getting along with the outside cat when I had the screen in. They know there smells . I am wondering if they would fight if I had them in the same room?
Not sure what you mean by his tail shaking. Males spraying is them peeing standing up. They usually do this against something, like a wall or bush. It has a very distinctive smell. Their tails are usually straight up.

Here's a good article on cat's tail signals: http://cats.about.com/od/behaviortraining/a/cat_tail_talk.htm

It sounds like your indoor cat and your feral have already gotten to know each other. But I'm no expert on how to bring a feral indoors. You may be able to get a response to that separate issue in the ferals and strays forum. I'm sure though someone who knows better then me can help you with that question.

envy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Assuming it's the kind of shaking I'm thinking of:  One of my cats tails was shaking.  I was worried it was some sort of neurological disorder, so I looked it up.  It could mean that he's happy to see you.  Doll does it when she thinks I'm going to feed her mostly, but sometimes she just does it for no real reason.  If he doesn't look agitated when he's doing it and isn't spraying (and, obviously is near you), that could be why.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linda carella

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I think he is just happy to see me when he shakes his tail. He also only sprayed
twice in the house so I am thinking he made his mark in the house.