Bringing Kitten Back To Humane Society

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everybody... I have posted a few questions about a new 10 week old kitten, which I adopted last Saturday. Unfortunately, within the past week, it has been tough trying to accommodate the new kitten to my household. In short, I ended up having to keep him in one room with his toys because he was too rowdy for my older cat and ultimately, my roommate and I have decided that this is just not the time in our lives to take on a kitten.

I am completely devastated, as the kitten is incredibly sweet, but he is just too hyperactive (as I know kittens are!) for my household, which consists of my older cat and, frequently, my parent's dog. I am bringing the kitten back with his bed that I bought for him, all of his food, his toys and his medicine that I got when taking him to the vet for a URI.

I guess, to be honest, I am just looking for reassurance in this time. I got him from a "cat cafe", where there are up to 20 other cats from the humane society that he can play with-- which is exactly what he needs that I am not able to completely provide, constant play time and a friend. After many tears and several calls to my mom, she also agreed that the kitten's quality of life will be better with someone who is able to take him as an only-child cat, and can play with him and totally meet his kitten energy level needs.

Has anyone else ever been in this situation? I am totally devastated... I still have my older cat, whom I love dearly, but I feel like a part of me is leaving.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
As a matter of fact, there was a poster just a couple days ago, they had tried for weeks to integrate the cats and there again, the new cat is going back to a very nice bunch of people at the original rescue, and he'll be adopted out as an only-child cat. The family is taking it very hard but wanted the best outcome, for both the new cat as well as their resident cat.

Cats really do wrap themselves around your heart. Thank you for having provided a good home, even if it was brief :vibes::redheartpump:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I don't think you are at fault. It is better to give him back now while he is young and cute & has a better chance finding a home.:vibes::grouphug:

He may do great with a younger playmate. I don't think the kitten needs to be an only cat, he does need for the other cat to be young and active. My punk could not get tired out with playing with me (and I was home all day!)

For what it is worth, can you do an exchange? I strongly believe in the 2 or more cats when possible so the cat has a cat buddy. Since your cat is older and less active, I think a mellow cat friendly 3-7 year old cat buddy would be ideal. It might be worth asking them if you can foster to adopt a mellow adult cat. Older cats have a HARD time getting adopted, unlike kittens. Plus an indoor cat will live a long life of 16 or more years. So a 3-7 year old may have a decade or more left to be with you :)

Even though my punk Dante drives my other cat Salem nuts, I can tell Salem is comforted by his presence. They are only a year apart, Dante was just a hyper terror ;) You may have gotten an extra hyper kitten?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Research the organization and make sure they are truly no-kill. Some shelters kill returns automatically.

Also, do NOT tell the shelter people he should be an "only child". Some take that too seriously and will refuse to adopt the cats marked as "onlies" to anybody with another pet, even if the potential adopter knows that the kitten's personality would match their resident cat's personality. Marking a cat as an "only pet" should only be done with older cats who are very aggressive toward or frightened of other cats. Marking them that way that cuts down significantly on potential adopters, because most people who want a cat already have a cat.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand, you said in the same paragraph that he will be back at the cafe with 20 other cats to play with and that is exactly what he needs, and you also said he needs to be in an only cat home. A kitten doesn't need to be in a single cat home, I would not tell the shelter he does. You only gave your resident cat a week to adjust when usually you take a week or so of having the kitten in your home (separately) before introducing to the resident cat. I think you mean your resident cat needs to be an only child if anything, but again you only gave him a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't understand, you said in the same paragraph that he will be back at the cafe with 20 other cats to play with and that is exactly what he needs, and you also said he needs to be in an only cat home. A kitten doesn't need to be in a single cat home, I would not tell the shelter he does. You only gave your resident cat a week to adjust when usually you take a week or so of having the kitten in your home (separately) before introducing to the resident cat. I think you mean your resident cat needs to be an only child if anything, but again you only gave him a week.

Sorry Jen, I meant that he either should be an only kitty or have other kitties his age to play with-- I just meant that I am not sure he would do well with another older cat.

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Research the organization and make sure they are truly no-kill. Some shelters kill returns automatically.

Also, do NOT tell the shelter people he should be an "only child". Some take that too seriously and will refuse to adopt the cats marked as "onlies" to anybody with another pet, even if the potential adopter knows that the kitten's personality would match their resident cat's personality. Marking a cat as an "only pet" should only be done with older cats who are very aggressive toward or frightened of other cats. Marking them that way that cuts down significantly on potential adopters, because most people who want a cat already have a cat.
Hey Willowy, thanks for the feedback. I have researched the shelter and it is not a kill shelter. There is another one in town that is, but after extensive research I found that these two aren't tied together. Thanks for the advice.

kittenandcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No I don't think you are at fault. It is better to give him back now while he is young and cute & has a better chance finding a home.:vibes::grouphug:

He may do great with a younger playmate. I don't think the kitten needs to be an only cat, he does need for the other cat to be young and active. My punk could not get tired out with playing with me (and I was home all day!)

For what it is worth, can you do an exchange? I strongly believe in the 2 or more cats when possible so the cat has a cat buddy. Since your cat is older and less active, I think a mellow cat friendly 3-7 year old cat buddy would be ideal. It might be worth asking them if you can foster to adopt a mellow adult cat. Older cats have a HARD time getting adopted, unlike kittens. Plus an indoor cat will live a long life of 16 or more years. So a 3-7 year old may have a decade or more left to be with you :)

Even though my punk Dante drives my other cat Salem nuts, I can tell Salem is comforted by his presence. They are only a year apart, Dante was just a hyper terror ;) You may have gotten an extra hyper kitten?

Hi danteshuman, I appreciate your kind words. I think another adult cat could be a good idea! My cat is very laid back, so maybe another laid back one could work. Fostering would be a good idea-- then I wouldn't have to financially commit. I really appreciate your kindness and advice.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry Jen, I meant that he either should be an only kitty or have other kitties his age to play with-- I just meant that I am not sure he would do well with another older cat.
Ahh ok I see. I think the problem was with your cat who didn't accept him right away. Kitten would have been fine, and he will be fine being rehomed at such a young age. Sounds like you will be happier if your resident cat was an only child so giving the kitten back is probably best.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my resident cat (peach) who growls every day at his punk if little brother (grey) ....
IMG_6520.JPG
I think you could have made the adoption work BUT your resident cat might never have been best friends with the kitten. Some cats just are, well jerks. I doubt the kitten was a jerk cat, he was just too high energy. My high energy punk took 7.5 years to calm down and still he sometimes is a putz! Salem is 12 years old... that is 11 years of his punk (Dante) younger brother bugging the snot out of him and hunting him when he gets bored!:devilcat2: I love both my cats but if I could choose a calm younger brother for my resident cat instead of bringing home my punk.... well for my resident cats sake I would have said no to my punk and got him a better match.

My point is I think your boy is thanking you for returning the adorable hellion and he may become best mates with anice calm adult cat. Don't feel guilty.
:vibes::catlove:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my resident cat (peach) who growls every day at his punk if little brother (grey) ....
View attachment 242494
I think you could have made the adoption work BUT your resident cat might never have been best friends with the kitten. Some cats just are, well jerks. I doubt the kitten was a jerk cat, he was just too high energy. My high energy punk took 7.5 years to calm down and still he sometimes is a putz! Salem is 12 years old... that is 11 years of his punk (Dante) younger brother bugging the snot out of him and hunting him when he gets bored!:devilcat2: I love both my cats but if I could choose a calm younger brother for my resident cat instead of bringing home my punk.... well for my resident cats sake I would have said no to my punk and got him a better match.

My point is I think your boy is thanking you for returning the adorable hellion and he may become best mates with anice calm adult cat. Don't feel guilty.
:vibes::catlove:
Kittens are really resilient. 20 minutes back at the cafe he'll be bouncing around like nothing ever happened. Consider this good socialization for him, and be glad you had a good place to return ( W Willowy made a really good point, but it sounds like you did your research and all should be well!)
We brought home a kitten several years ago. Resident queen was 6, kitten was a few months (2-3) and this many years later they still are not BFF's. They don't fight, but there's tension and they seem to both agree to steer clear of one another.
I've caught BOTH of them starting tiffs, which only result in an indignant screech and a hiss. I'll admit I wish they were better pals, but so long as no one is miserable we're good =)