Bringing In A New Cat

kimmy2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a very laid back, mellow male cat and have adopted a new cat. She has been with us for 7 wks. Both cats are 8 yrs old. The new cat had lived in my bedroom for 3 wks as we gradually began to introduce the 2 of them. The new cat was terrified of the resident cat and wanted nothing to do with him. We have traded spaces with the cats, and take turns letting them have the run of the house. Behind closed doors, she is the sweetest kitty and just wants to be loved. At her first vet appt, a phermone collar was recommended and I actually think it started to put her at ease alittle. She began venturing out more. The resident cat is always looking for her now and when she ventures out, he actually runs after her and yes they fight. This week-end I got a phermone collar for both of the cats and have a phermone diffuser going...I just don't know. Is there hope of them ever being able to tolerate each other? I believe the new cat must have been an only cat...as was the resident cat (although we did have a dog)
Everyday my husband and I discuss the possibility of having to bring her back. That would break my heart! I would love any and thoughts or suggestions.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the boards!

How intense are these fights? Are we talking blood, clumps of fur, or more a matter of loud noises? For what’s it worth there probably is hope, but of course more information is always a good thing. You say she’s terrified, how does she show it (such as body low to the ground, or hiding ect)? Do you have any vertical walk ways for them such as cat shelves? One thing to try is to swap a favorite blanket with each other to keep the others scent near by, though you are doing a bit of this by trading places. Have you tried giving treats when they see each other and/or feeding them on either side of a door so they can smell each other when they eat? Do you know the history of your new cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmy2001

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have any history on the new cat unfortunately. Their fights are mostly noise, but the new cat does have a scratch on the back of her neck. The new cat runs from the resident cat. I also put each of them, one at a time in a cat carrier and they will get nose to nose very briefly to smell each other. Although the new cat will not stay out if she sees the resident cat in the carrier. She will walk up very slowly, smell and then hide again. No hissing. I have tried feeding them on either side of the door, but neither want anything to do with that.
I do not have cat shelves...that is something to consider

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any history on the new cat unfortunately. Their fights are mostly noise, but the new cat does have a scratch on the back of her neck. The new cat runs from the resident cat. I also put each of them, one at a time in a cat carrier and they will get nose to nose very briefly to smell each other. Although the new cat will not stay out if she sees the resident cat in the carrier. She will walk up very slowly, smell and then hide again. No hissing. I have tried feeding them on either side of the door, but neither want anything to do with that.
I do not have cat shelves...that is something to consider
As far as the feeding on either side of the door, one thing you can try is to start them off eating as far away as possible on either side of the door and then slowly moving the food closer each day or few days depending on how the react to it.

I think the crate idea is wonderful! And it sounds like it’s working well, if slowly! I would add in treats to the crate time. Every time they get close and smell each other, give them lots of praise and treats.

I should have put this out for you first, but you might find some helpful information here How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction. I would do my best to keep them from meeting just yet aside from crate time and things like smelling each other u dear the door or through a cat gate. One suggestion I have seen a lot is to put like three child gates on top of each other and let them smell each other through the gate. This is a lot like the crate, only in a way you are turning a whole room (or bathroom) into a crate.

Don’t give up! I think there is a great chance they will get there! They may not end up best friends but I do think they can learn to coexist at the least