Bringing In A Friendly Stray

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi people,

This cat (Gypsy), who almost certainly is an abandoned pet, has been living behind my house for 3 or 4 months. I've had her spayed and vaccinated, and now I'm trying to bring her inside and get her adopted. There are a few complications to this that I'm not sure about and any input would be a great help.

My main question is: while waiting for an adopter to come through, should I let her go back outside when she wants, or should I force her to stay inside? Here are the issues:

- She is very small, only about 5 or 6 pounds. This makes her vulnerable to other animals and most importantly to the cold weather, which is coming soon. I don't think she has lived outside in the cold before. I live in North Carolina and there will be plenty of below-freezing nights in the next few months.

- I have about 850 square feet of space inside, and a territorial indoor cat. They are starting to get along (it's only been a week) but I don't know if it's healthy for two cats to share this space in the long term.

- Every few hours she starts crying to be let outside again. Her "home base" is an overgrown area behind my backyard which has lots of trash in it. I don't like to think about her huddling by herself there, especially when it's cold and wet. She has only used the litterbox inside once so I'm wondering if she feels like she has to be outside to pee/poop.

- There is a family of 6 ferals who live outside. They don't attack her, but they are all bigger than her and will probably push her out of the preferable warm spaces. There is a neighbor's cat who is more aggressive towards her and sometimes prevents her from approaching my house.

How worried do I really need to be about her spending time outside? This cat is a clear candidate for a permanent indoor home, but in the meantime it is very stressful to have her in this half-in half-out state. Should I relax and just let her come and go, or should I force the issue and keep her inside 100%?

gypsy_deck_collar.jpg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you should keep her 100% inside and let her fuss about it and get over it.

She sounds very sweet and should get over it eventually for her own good. Thank you for spaying her and caring for her so well. She is much better off inside. Once she knows her boundaries she should quiet down about it.

She will learn the indoor litter box very quickly once you let her know that she is not going outside anymore.

I have 7 cats in about your same amount of space and they have all learned to get along and make do.

Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I've kept her inside since last night and there haven't been any disasters. My cat is even being a little friendly although they still aren't used to each other yet. Gypsy has been through a lot and hopefully this is the start of a long and comfortable life for her.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the forum P potterotherp ! It's a great place to get advice, read what others do, and to find a shoulder when you need comforting. I've found this site and its members invaluable!

Just a few things to add to what the very-knowledgable Sarthur2 Sarthur2 had to say...

Gypsy is absolutely, positively adorable! And how wonderful and caring of you to recognize that she needed help. I'm so glad to hear that you've already had her spayed and vaccinated. Definitely very important steps to keep her healthy - and great that she won't add to the ever-expanding number of feral kittens.

I definitely also agree that keeping her 100% inside is important - particularly given your description of her size and vulnerability as far as the feral family and the territorially aggressive indoor/outdoor kitty (AND with cold weather coming quickly!). It sounds like she'd have a difficult time making it outside - all kitties are far safer indoors and live much longer lives as indoor cats, but it sounds like she would, in particular, face some real issues out there.

I understand your concern with your guy and how they'll share space - - but if they're doing fairly well together after just a week - I'd say that's FANTASTIC!!!! (I know it feels like forever - but that is VERY fast for them to be doing so well) Until I hit that part of your note I was going to suggest putting her in another room and doing a very slow introduction with your cat - - but it sounds as though they're already well on their way to peaceful cohabitation! I definitely don't think it's unhealthy for her to share your home with your cat (think about the tight space cats often share at a shelter!).

How long has she been inside? If she's crying to go outside (I'm sure a big part of that is just that it's very confusing for her still- - - remember that, sadly, she can't understand English and that you're keeping her in to keep her safe. :) But if things are moving so well at this quick a pace, I just think a little bit of patience and she'll be quite happy to be warm and safe inside (with a full belly, all the love she can get from you, and - soon it sounds like - a feline companion to also make her feel comfortable). We've had many fosters that began as ferals - and they do cry for a bit - particularly at night - - but that does go away. And the timing of when the "outside urge" ends is different with every cat - but generally w/in just a few days that stops.

As far as using the litterbox - - - I know your place is on the smaller size - - but is there only one box in the house? She may not feel comfortable sharing your kitty's litterbox (since obviously - it's already been "claimed" by your kitty!). Since she's only going to be kept until you can find her a home - - - can you add another box somewhere? If possible - not right next to the one your kitty uses - but if space makes it impossible to put it anywhere other than next to your other kitty's box - that's still better than not having her own box at all. Pick her up and put her in the new one as soon as you get it home - giving her the chance to be the one to first "baptize it" as her own. You might even sprinkle a bit of dirt from areas outside that you know she spent time - - that way it will even smell like outside to her.

The other reason I'd keep her indoors only ---- letting her go in and out greatly enhances her chances of bringing things into the house you'd rather not have - for you or your cat (fleas - - ticks - - URI - - you name it). Keeping her completely inside greatly increases everyone's chances of remaining perfectly healthy!!!

Lastly - - -Is the collar a flea collar that you gave her? I'm not a big lover flea collars - but I know there are people out there who do use them. I do hope, however that it's a breakaway collar? If she's outside - it's critical that it be breakaway - - but even 100% inside (which - yeah!!! - it sounds like you're going to do) it's still best if it's breakaway, since you can't watch her every moment. And watch the brand - - Hartz in particular has had quite a few lawsuits over cats really suffering very serious reactions to their products. I never recommend them.

Again - congrats on being a new "foster parent" - - - keep us updated with pictures and stories! Any questions - don't hesitate to post!!!! Hope so much that all goes well (I've got a good feeling it will!!!) - - and know that you've lengthened this sweet girl's lifespan by probably 10-15 years by being so wonderful and bringing her in.

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! The collar is gone, I'm not the one who put it on her. I did loosen it at one point because it looked like it was too tight. A few days later it had disappeared.

The story with Gypsy is that she appeared in the area behind my house sometime in June. Because of the collar, I assumed she belonged to one of the neighbors. I manage a feral colony in a fairly dense neighborhood and was focused on getting them trapped and fixed, so I didn't give Gypsy much thought at the time. (All the ferals are fixed now.) About six weeks ago, around September 8, I saw that Gypsy had swollen nipples, and at that point it became clear that no one was taking care of her. As soon as I started to pay attention to her, she came right up to be petted. Instead of trapping, I was able to just pick her up and put her in a carrier.

I took her to the vet as soon as I could and they determined she was not pregnant, so I brought her back and let her stay outside in case there were still any kittens. I waited another month and there was no sign of any kittens or that she had been nursing any more. Last Tuesday I took her in to get spayed and have been keeping her mostly inside since then. She does have her own room with food, water, and her own litter box. I have been keeping the door shut sometimes, but not all the time. My other cat (Emma) has been going in the room and helping herself to Gypsy's food and litter box. They definitely aren't friends yet. They still hiss at each other, but they also seem to be able to relax in the same room together. Here is a picture - Gypsy is the dark spot on the bed.

gypembed.jpg

Gypsy pooped in the litter box and has been quiet for the past few hours. So it's going well. Thanks again for your comments, it is encouraging to know that bringing her in is the right course of action.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... Gypsy is a cutie pie. And Emma is gorgeous, with beautiful colours. Sounds like things are going well, if they are able to relax in the same room. :catrub:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love that ("Gypsy's the dark spot")!!!! If they're willing to get along that well - to sleep that closely to each other this early - - I think you're ALL going to be fine. ;) Kudos to you for all of the TNRing - know how much work - physically and emotionally - that is! It sounds like you turned that portion of your neighborhood around completely!!!!

It sounded to me like you knew too much about cats to put a flea collar like that on an outdoor kitty- - -but you never know! I'm so happy to see that her story's going so well. Keep us posted on her (and Emma). And keep those "big-eyed kitten" pics coming!!!!

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After two weeks inside, Gypsy is doing very well. She has been exploring the house and finding more places to lounge around, as well as scampering around a bit and playing with things. She still seems drawn to the back door, but the amount of time she spends trying to get outside has gone way down. She has gotten used to her meal routine and uses the litter with no problems. As I thought, she is a 100% indoor cat. Her personality is starting to come out now that she is getting comfortable in her new house. She is inquisitive, playful, and independent. She likes to be pet a little bit and then will start grabbing/swiping.

As far as getting along with Emma, they will regularly spend several hours relaxing in the same room, within a few feet of each other. They don't fight over food or space or anything, but they will hiss or swipe a little bit if one of them gets too close too fast. I think they are keeping each other company though, and will be the kind of friends who occasionally pounce on each other, and maybe not so much snuggling.

Gypsy doesn't like to stand still for the camera so this is the best picture I've been able to get. I'm still hoping that someone will adopt her, but she will definitely be able to stay here long term if necessary. The main thing is that she's not outside anymore. I couldn't stand the thought of her being alone outside any more.
gypsy_bathroom.jpg

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a cutie! Thank you for caring for this cat as well as your other ferals!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update. And thanks for bringing her inside and keeping her safe. :catrub:

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good decision to bring in...and you're doing great! Gypsy nearly identical to my tiny Princess... showed up in my yard starving, clearly distressed...seeking help. She fit right in with Bug (we believe they are related) and the other 3.

No secret..give Gypsy and Emma some time...they'll be best of buds. KEEP HER!

Last edited:

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So happy to hear things keep getting even better!!!!!

And seeing your first Gypsy "big-eyed kitty" pic in opening of your thread reminded me SO much of our Flick (bc of the 'flick' of white in the shape of a heart on her chest!). I've posted this pic before, but your pic and story made me think of a feral that my husband lovingly calls our "bug-eyed baby." We brought her in months after TNRing her, when a neighbor started poisoning the "d*** outside cats" outside." So in she came - never to step foot outside again! She has a fairly mild Cerebellar Hypoplaysia, so the others in the colony "didn't get her." She was shunned by her colony (who were basically her siblings, aunts and cousins), and at only under 7 lbs, we kept worrying about her safety.

So I hope Gypsy continues to do so well (and the approval - or close to it) by Emma should go a long way into cementing what hopefully they'll move beyond 'tolerating each other (although sounds like they're making QUITE a bit of progress in just 2 weeks!!!!!!

So please keep us posted with lots of pics---and progress reports! I'm betting she's in for good at your place :)

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My sister and her husband have a couple cats with that condition, it's true they wouldn't make the greatest outdoor survivors.

My ferals are an amusing bunch. Fortunately at this point all of the neighbors are cat friendly. I don't like to think about how I would deal with neighbors who poisoned cats. I'm afraid I wouldn't approach it in a healthy way.

Here's Gypsy relaxing in a few places:
20171103_220333.jpg
20171026_151121.jpg

Here's Emma being attentive:

20170414_131338.jpg

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww....so cute!!!! I love that creamy "fawn" kind of color. And the mama (or one who looks like she's being sucked into - pun intended - the role of mama) - looks gorgeous -dilute calico? Is she still around? And is Emma in the above shots as a kitten? I couldn't decide with the colors. All really are gorgeous.

potterotherp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Emma hasn't been a kitten for a while, she isn't one of those three although there are similar colors. Unfortunately, that calico mama cat disappeared after her surgery. It took me over a year to get her trapped, during which time she had two litters and got pregnant with a third. She was one of the most wary and timid outside cats. I'm afraid she didn't have an easy life, but she did leave behind four healthy kittens. And for all I know, she may just be living somewhere else. That's what happened with the grand matriarch of all my outside cats - she just migrated a few blocks away.

This is a picture of her - from two years ago! - relaxing with the cat I believe was her mother. It is funny how complex and dramatic these cat family histories can be, all because of neglectful human owners... 20150806_162737.jpg