Bringing Home Kitten (almost2mo) To Male And Female

QueenTiff0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OK so I made an account to post this but I read this website all the time

I am in a position where I am actually going to pick up a new kitten in a little bit, his birthday was April 18 So I cannot get him fixed until mid July and I wanted to do this the best way possible. (He is already eating wet food and he is separated from his mother the mother actually died shortly after he was born)

I have a 16-year-old male cat neutered and a female cat who was sprayed and she’s two or three. They get along great and have ever since she came here they play fight and they might have a got into a few real scuffles but nothing memorable. I know the day she came home he slapped her in the face and then she went into the bathroom but ever since then it’s been great

So I’ve read how 2 unneutered male cats are not good But if they’re both neutered there is a chance for them to get along, They don’t really have a choice they’re going to have to get along or one of them is just going to have to stay locked in the bathroom or the spare bedroom until the older male is no longer with us. ( It won’t be much longer you can tell he’s getting old and not himself and he has bad asthma we take him to the vet but he just won’t be much here longer, And that’s part of the reason I am getting this new kitten now so Kiko already hopefully has a friend established to help her get through when her best friend paws ends up passing )

The reason which really made me to decide to go ahead and get one today (like when I woke up this morning I had no idea that now in about two hours I’ll have three cats) is I saw this beautiful little kittenThat had no mother and it was pretty much going to be Abandoned with no food or water or nothing after today( Please no comments you don’t know the situation and if it came between my child and a cat I’m going to have to choose my child if there is no way to take both so I understand it and luckily the cat has me)

So I’m have my cat carrier ready to go pick him up and I’m going to keep them in my master bathroom as soon as we get home will go in there with his litter box and some food and water and I’m going to read more about Cat introductions cause it’s been a while but when he can come out
Do you think it will be OK with one male neutered and one not yet neutered?

(I couldn’t really find a lot of post with that information it was either both neutered or neither). Our other male is indoor/outdoor but spends pretty much all day and some nights outdoor on our backdeck and our female is indoor only. She does sit with me on the porch and this cat will be the same as the female.

Anyways the point I was getting at was I can’t make this cat pretty much an outdoor all the time Cat if I need to or leave the little one in my bathroom but hopefully they will get along before he is old enough to get fixed.

Would it be better just to leave the kitten in the bathroom until he can get sprayed? because it’s not that far off it would be in the next month, Or should I just see how it goes?

I hope this wasn’t too confusing and if anyone has any of advice tips links anything I am all ears and thank you so much. I’m posting a picture of my female cat Kiko To show my appreciation

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think if you get the little guy neutered in July it will be fine. He is still fairly young and likely hasn’t hit sexual maturity yet. But there is still a slow introduction process that has to happen with all three cats.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. I think a slow introduction will be fine. However, if the kitten has yet to be vet checked, I would suggest doing that before you let it come in contact with your other cats, particularly the older one. Just to ensure it's healthy. It probably also needs deworming.

Here's the TCS article on How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat | TheCatSite which should have some tips for you.

Also:
[URL='https://thecatsite.com/ams/9-tips-that-will-help-your-kitten-adapt-to-a-new-apartment.33871/']9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment | TheCatSite[/URL]
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips | TheCatSite

Good luck. Let us know when he's home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenTiff0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I was thinking the same thing, but yes very slow introduction and were going to the vet ASAP. I wanted to actually have the cat before I made the appointment with the vet because she does same day house cost so that won’t be a problem going to get him microchip and fixed in July when he’s2 months

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi.... nice to meet you! I think everything will be great, provided you do the slow introduction. (& a vet visit.) Because he is a wee kitten they will probably accept him quickly ..... though they will teach him manners. You are going to neuter him in plenty of time so that won’t be an issue. Take tons of pictures/videos they grow up so fast! Speaking of pictures, please post some when they all start getting along.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww.... what a cutie pie. :catlove: Does he have a name yet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

QueenTiff0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Trooper! I had to take him to the emergency vet the 2nd night I had him, he had roundworms very bad. We went at 3am because he was crying in pain, and had been crying when he tried to use the bathroom the whole time I had him. I guess the worms were in his stomach, he was bloated and he was full of them. I got special food for him, medicine once a day for 3 days which he completes yesterday and anti diarrhea meds for 12 days. Thankgod he’s better, I just felt in my heart something was wrong.

Is it normal for kittens to cry any in the litter box?

He is perfect so far, no accidents, loves to play and he cuddled, everything I could ever want.

I just want him to grow up happy and loved

Attachments

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Trooper! He will feel much better after those worms are gone. The dewormer can cause diarreah for a few days and yes, it is not unusual for kittens to announce each poop. Some stop as they get older and some do not.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... poor Trooper! Hope he feels better soon.