Bringing cats to a festival.. opinion?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
So, october 30th at my shelter is a "howl-o-ween adoption festival".

People are encouraged to bring their pets dressed up (for prizes!) and have fun.

I am debating if I want to dress up Picasso and bring her along. Monet I know will flip out, but Picasso is young, she might be OK.

What do you guys think.. too much stress to bring a cat to a crowded place?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
It depends on the cat's personality. If you take her and she's gets nervous, just take her back home.

I used to take Banshee in the car often and she was always fine. She had her picture taken with Santa Paws and she was a purrfect little lady. When I was in college and had to take a Public Speaking course, one of our speeches was a "how-to" speech, where we had to explain how to do something.

My topic was "How to Groom a Cat" and Banshee and I went over to class (and I should add that this was a 40-minute car ride each way). I took her into the class in her carrier, but took her right out of the carrier and she curled up on my desk and watched the other students without a peep. When it was our turn, Banshee did her part without a hitch. I had her grooming tools and I'd position her to comb her belly, her neck, her tail, etc. I had treats with me and, after we were done, I gave her a few treats. We went back to my desk and she was fine. (And Banshee and I received an A!)

One of the students did a presentation on how to change a battery in his car. Well, we all had to go outside and watch. I wrapped Banshee in her blankie and she was content to be in my arms the whole time.

The only incident was when a student came over to me, after class, and cooed over Banshee. Banshee didn't like to be held by anybody but me. I told the girl that. I told her not to try to pick her up. The girl said, "Oh, she'll be fine!" She tried to pick her up and Banshee slapped her right across her face. She was a little taken aback, but OK. I tried to tell her. (Our Queen B was good with face slaps....any time we did something she didn't approve of? She'd slap us right across the face. And it hurt. She only did it to me once. I hissed at her and said No. Her ears went back and she wasn't happy about it, but she never slapped me again.)

I would have never been able to do that with any of our other cats. No way. They simply don't have the attitude and personality that Banshee did. They would have never tolerated any of it.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends especially on the cat and honestly if the cat freaks out are you 100% ok with leaving right away. I know for my own cats that could never happen because they are as neurotic as me and dont take to leaving the house kindly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I did take her to work with me once for a little while. She was OK. But I was also close to home. this is a little further out with many more people. I should at least see how she'd take to a harness and a costume first!

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know none of my 6 would cooperate at all.I would be very afraid that somehow I might lose them if I took them. I would NOT
even consider taking them! But you know your cats if you feel one of them would be ok try it. How would they get along with other strange cats that might be there?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could take Holland out, just to show her off!
She would have none of it, though. If you think Picasso will be OK, it's worth a shot, but I'd have a back-up plan in case she freaks out.

thebluepencil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally hate it when people dress up their cats at all. Felines want to be free-not trapped in some silly-looking costume. I understand that kitties look cute in costumes- I confess that I've dressed up mine more than once, but still it's humiliating and unfair to the cat.

To be trapped in a costume and brought to a noisy festival sounds like cat torture, but that's just my opinion.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't. Even if Picasso doesn't get too stressed out, will she enjoy it? My guess is no. I know you're heart is in the right place. It's a good cause and all, but I vote no.

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know Picasso better than we do obviously, so only you can decide if you feel she'll be ok with it. But yeah, I guess practice with the costume and harness first to see if she's cool with that alone..
If it were me, I'd really have to think about it. I don't think I'd try Dorothy, even though we had her 8 months already, I just don't know her 100% yet. Genever is totally cool with strangers, but I don't know if she'd be cool with strange animals. But I would maybe try her, and yeah, if she was not happy, then we'd head home. No big deal. If you do decide to take her, I hope you bring a camera!!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should give it a try. This Saturday I'm bringing Luna & Midnight to Pet Smart's Halloween party. It depends on how your cats are. I know mine will be scared at 1st. Luna will be fine because she likes seeing the other animals. Once Midnight realizes he's not going to leave my arms he'll be fine.

Took them both to Petco to have their pictures taken last month. Luna did great once she began to take an interest in everything around her. Midnight did ok when he was in my arms. He didn't do well when he had to pose for the pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Picasso hated the harness, lol. She bucked like a wild horse with a saddle for the first time. She did relax after a few minutes of it on.

I am wondering if I will be too worried and focused on Picasso's stress-levels that I just won't enjoy the festival myself?

I've decided to leave her home, and take my camera to the festival instead and take pics!