Bright red blood

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all.
My cat has had bright red streaks of blood on the outside of her faeces for about a year now. Sometimes this symptom will disappear for months then randomly reappear. I've read through other threads with the same issues but I wanted to ask specifically about raw food and this issue. We went to the vet the first time this issue popped up when I first adopted her, her stool was tested for parasites, she had been on antibiotics for 12 days the issue persisted. She had an ultrasound on her gi tract and thickening of her colon walls was found, which is a common symptom of IBD she has not yet had a biopsy to confirm diagnosis but I've been looking up ways to treat that diagnosis regardless. She eats baily blu brand raw food. Is the biopsy my only next step? I have been avoiding it because of how stressful it will be on her. I tried to find ways to help her issue that where more natural but at this point I don't know if theres anything else I can do then go to the next step that will put both of us under a lot of stress. Any advice would help -n- other then ups and downs in her energy level shes a healthy happy cat, she never has had an issue eating, doesn't usually have constipation and if she ever did I know how to treat it.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you ask the vet about the blood? I remember reading if the blood is bright red in color that usually means it's coming from a cut close to the anus. And that the cause could be constipation. Presumably also diarrhea as they say that to the humans. Did you notice if it happens around constipation or when her stools are harder than usual?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I actually have more questions than I do suggestions (sorry). How old is your cat? What were the antibiotics for - because when they tested for parasites, they found some bacteria? Since she only intermittently has blood with her feces, is there any correlation to specific foods during those times, or has she always been on the same raw food? Did the vet have any idea why the blood issue is only intermittent if they think this might be IBD? Did the blood by chance coincide with her bouts of constipation - as MissClouseau MissClouseau mentioned, constipation can cause issues in the lower colon creating inflammation and bloodiness.

I wanted to ask specifically about raw food and this issue.
Wasn't sure what you were asking - if raw food could cause the blood or IBD??

Maybe more information would help other members come up with some ideas/suggestions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eatingiceman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I actually have more questions than I do suggestions (sorry). How old is your cat? What were the antibiotics for - because when they tested for parasites, they found some bacteria? Since she only intermittently has blood with her feces, is there any correlation to specific foods during those times, or has she always been on the same raw food? Did the vet have any idea why the blood issue is only intermittent if they think this might be IBD? Did the blood by chance coincide with her bouts of constipation - as MissClouseau MissClouseau mentioned, constipation can cause issues in the lower colon creating inflammation and bloodiness.

Maybe more information would help other members come up with some ideas/suggestions.
Hi I

Hi sorry for taking so long to reply I forgot my account password.

Honey was adopted and her age was a unknown she is probably around 6 or 8 maybe younger definitely and adult tho.
The antibiotics where for an imbalance of clostridium I think in her gut flora. Her symptoms where worse when she was on canned food but that was a year ago and shes only had raw since. They suspect IBD and the next step would be a biopsy which I would rather do as a last resort. But I treat her as if ibd is confirmed regardless. No constipation she goes regularly and her stool if firm and normal. Yes this was a question relating to raw food as I was wondering if maybe her food could show up as bloody stool as its pretty much raw organs and blood.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe you could post another thread under the Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food sub-Forum (under Nutrition Forum), give some of the same history as above, and ask about the possibility of blood due to raw organs???