Bright Orange Poop?

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering a momma and her 6, 3week old kittens. The other day one kitten had bright orange dried on his little toes. And then there was a little dried on the side of the nest. Now today I noticed some on another kittens butt, so I put some coconut oil on a q tip and wiped his butt and it's bright orange! It has no smell at all. I've never seen any of the babies poop. I attached a picture. It looks way more orange in real life.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It looks bright yellow to me.

They all need a round of Albon.

That looks like Coccidia poop.

Panacur will help too! They should take both.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The 'no smell' is getting me. Normally I would say either Coccidia or Giardia. But that smell is rancid.
They may need worm meds however. Can you contact your vet and get them some Panacur?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering through a shelter so I can get dewormer from them, but I feel like they're too small/young. They turned 3 weeks today and none are even a pound yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens are never too young to be wormed or treated for parasites if they need it.

The yellow poop is not normal. Please let the shelter know. Coccidia is passed from mom to kittens through the milk.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I let the shelter know but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Luckily they are all still gaining weight and are very lively, they keep escaping from the nest!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were around 14 days when they started treatment. So your are not too young.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Three weeks old is the age when they are ready to leave the nest and begin exploring!

You'll need to give them a bigger space now, such as a bedroom.

christinesfosters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're in a spare bedroom, the nest is the bottom half of a huge dog kennel so they have plenty of room :p they waddle around but are staying mostly close to mom or me.