Brewers Yeast W/garlic Flavoring....safe!?!

Wheekie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I want to add Brewers Yeast Powder ( no tablets!) to my cats diet because I heard it is good for their skin and coat plus it repels fleas.

Problem is , I can't find any that doesn't have garlic flavoring. They all say they are vet formulated; but I thought garlic was toxic to cats!?! Some sites say that it's only raw garlic that's toxic; this powder that is vet formulated is safe. CONFUSED!!

The only plain Brewers Yeast I can find is for people; would that be safe to use for cats!?!

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Plain brewers yeast does exist. I would avoid feeding garlic. There's little enough garlic in the veterinary formula that it won't cause harm with short-term use, but it's still garlic and if you plan on using it regularly it might have a cumulative effect.

You can also try probiotic yeasts; they usually come in a capsule that you can open up to sprinkle some on the food. Just check the ingredients to make sure it's only yeast and nothing else.

Nutritional yeast is another option. It won't reproduce in the GI tract, but it will provide some nutrition. TCFeline sells some in the form of a sprinkle-type food topper, but I've also seen it in hipster grocery stores.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In many cases, you don't have to use supplements that are specifically formulated for cats. In fact, I think the Viralys is the only item in our kitty medicine cabinet that is, and that's only because Buddy tolerates the taste better than the NOW brand of L-lysine -- which, of course, is MUCH cheaper. :lol:

We used to use NOW Foods Brewer's Yeast Debittered for our cats for both internal and external use. It doesn't have any other ingredients, and our cats seemed to tolerate the taste better than some other brands we tried. In the days before we signed up for Amazon Prime, we used to buy it at GNC. I don't remember the dosage though re: sprinkling it on their food. Sorry. Maybe someone else can help with that. :)