Breeding Contract Question

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
The cats at the cattery I got my cat from are not registered pedigree. If they are registered, its in pet category. As the contract is written up it seems if you want cfa papers and breeding rights you will have to pay a fee...
Actually, CFA does not differentiate between pet and show quality cats. They are either registered or not. The only difference is whether they're registered with breeding rights. It's up to the breeder/owner to determine if a cat is pet quality or show quality. I bought my abyssinian as a pet, but got permission from the breeder to show him. I did not have to change anything about his registration in order to show him. He's not top quality compared to the breed standard, but he's good enough to make some finals.

ETA: reading your post again more carefully it sounds like you're saying the cats from the breeder's cattery are registered as Household Pets. That is definitely different from registered pedigreed cats. In that case, you could register your kitten only as an HHP. The breeder cannot register a litter born to an HHP and will not have any official CFA papers to give you even if you pay extra for them. She could have registered pedigreed cats without showing them, it's not a requirement for registration. You'll still have to contact the breeder directly to find out about your kitten's parentage and their pedigree status.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
CFA records household pets, they do not register them. To be registered a cat must have a pedigree, which a hhp doesn't have. As a retired breeder I would never sell a kitten as a gift unless the person receiving it actually picked it out and signed the contract. To have your cattery certified is not hard, which is why I never bothered - it just does 't mean anything. I also would not sell a pet quality cat for breeding since it is my belief that breeding should be done to improve the breed. That is only my opinion, not shared by everyone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys so I finally found out why they have the new paperwork. It looks like they just got two new pedigree kittens. Both males. They are cute but I know the females they have aren't pedigree so I don't know what they are getting at with it...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure their females aren't registered? It's not hard to get a registered kitten. I could run down to the pet store and have a registered Persian kitten in my hands within half an hour. Registration is not an indication of quality.

But anyway, when it comes to the contract, just ask yourself how you would feel if someone who bought one of your kittens violated the contract, or gave the kitten to someone else who violated the contract. I don't think you'd be too happy.

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am guess
Are you sure their females aren't registered? It's not hard to get a registered kitten. I could run down to the pet store and have a registered Persian kitten in my hands within half an hour. Registration is not an indication of quality.

But anyway, when it comes to the contract, just ask yourself how you would feel if someone who bought one of your kittens violated the contract, or gave the kitten to someone else who violated the contract. I don't think you'd be too happy.

I am guessing you havent read all of the post on this thread because I already said I spay and neuter my kittens, so there is not an option when I home them for them to not follow through with a contract. I care enough to spend the money to make sure of that. The people who sold me mine do not and only care about their profit. They were aware that it was my cat and not the person who picked it up. They knew she was picking it up for me because I was the one who had dialog with them stating she was picking it up. You can have a registered persian in your hands from a pet store? Well I dont know where you are from but there are no "pet stores" that sell persians here, only saved cats. There is a mall pet store here but they only sell dogs. Yes, I am sure their females are not registered pedigree. I am not concerned about this situation any longer as I have now spoken to my lawyer who is very good with legal wording and he assures me it has to do with only those who are sold registered. Mine was not.

CrazyCatLady86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

--------------------------------------------

CFA records household pets, they do not register them. To be registered a cat must have a pedigree, which a hhp doesn't have. As a retired breeder I would never sell a kitten as a gift unless the person receiving it actually picked it out and signed the contract. To have your cattery certified is not hard, which is why I never bothered - it just does 't mean anything. I also would not sell a pet quality cat for breeding since it is my belief that breeding should be done to improve the breed. That is only my opinion, not shared by everyone.

From what posiepurrs says the only way a cat is registered is if it is pedigree so yes I would say it takes effort. This thread is closed.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what posiepurrs says the only way a cat is registered is if it is pedigree so yes I would say it takes effort
Yes, all it means is that both parent cats were pedigreed/registered. And anybody can get registered cats to breed. It's not a guarantee of quality; only a guarantee of pedigree. So that's what posiepurrs was trying to tell you---if their kittens can be registered, that means that the parents must be registered. There is no such thing as a pet registration with CFA; a cat is either registered or not.

Many kitten mills produce registered kittens, and those are the ones that end up in pet stores. Many areas are outlawing selling puppies and kittens in pet stores, glad to hear that's how it is in your town :). It's not so progressive here :/.