Breeder Woes

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Without going into specifics, we've decided that at some point adding another dog to our pack is a good idea (we're nuts, I know) and decided on a different breed, a smaller and rare breed to be a performance hopeful. If that performance puppy doesn't turn out, they will stay as a loved pet.
So, finding a legit breeder of a somewhat rare, non-popular breed is hard enough but I must have fallen asleep for the past 20 years because buying a dog was never this....intense.
Before anyone flips out I understand breeder contracts being the way they are to prevent abuse and ensure the puppy (or kitten) is loved, cared for properly, and not dumped in a pound if they become a problem, and I fully support that.
When we had foster cats and kittens we drew up a contract that stated the kitten would be cared for and if that was impossible they were to be returned, no questions asked. Things like what food to feed, issues of declawing, etc., were stated as our recommendation and the adopter/buyer was strongly encouraged to research these issues and we were available anytime to offer our insight. Easy.
But this! I've never seen it in a contract that a buyer MUST feed a certain brand of food as well as a supplement (ironically sold by the breeder) for life and that spaying must be done by 6 months old (something I disagree with in dogs), mandating vaccine requirements every year (despite the fact our vet goes for 3 years in adults), and any deviation from this can result in immediate possession of the dog without refund!!
I know this is a dog, but cat breeders---am I over reacting? This just seems like a LOT.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't put a specific type of food or supplement in my contract, or specify vaccine frequency, etc., but I know that there are breeders that do put things like that in the contract because they feel it is important... If you are not comfortable with the terms of the contract, talk to the breeder about it. Either renegotiate the contract with the breeder or go to another breeder. The point of this part of the contract is to make sure that breeder and buyer are in agreement on how the dog will be cared for. It sounds like you don't agree with the breeder on these points, in which case you might get along better with another breeder?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On dog forums I've seen other complaints about breeder contracts, but usually they're on the other side---pushing the "crunchy" ways, like not neutering until over 18 months, an alternative vaccine schedule, feeding raw, etc. I think the generel consensus is that breeders who push Nupro are on the lower side of things. Does this breeder actually have dogs who are titled in performance?

If you're not comfortable with the contract find another breeder. I know it's hard with a rare breed but you don't want to be regretting that for the next 15 years.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh also, if you want to see if you can come to an agreement with this breeder, TALK TO THEM. Ask them why they require that, how strict they are about it, how many puppies have they confiscated, all that.

But I'll say that it really sounds like a pet-quality breeder and if you want a performance dog that might not be the way to go.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm. I know that in the contract I have with the breeder I am getting a dog from in a few weeks that certain food quality is required, but only to keep the health warranty on the dog. Essentially, if we choose to feed lower quality food and then the dog gets sick because of it, our breeder doesn't owe us a refund. The breeder does not specify a brand that must be used.

I would definitely talk to the breeder and see if there is a way to renegotiate the terms. I know my breeder is open to talking through the terms of the contract and explaining everything/changing things that might not work. For example, she requires dogs must not be spayed or neutered before a certain point, but if there were certain risks that might make it more likely for a dog to get pregnant or impregnate another dog she would change that clause.

My guess is that the spaying before 6 months is to prevent you from having litters of this breed or mixed breeds with the dog. Perhaps the breeder has had problems with this in the past and is now untrusting.

I personally believe you should get to know your breeder and plan on having a relationship with them for the life of the dog. Having one that you can trust and can trust you can prevent a lot of problems throughout the process and leave communications open for the future as well.

What breed are you looking for?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I think it's rather unusual but each breeder is entitled to their own requirements. For me personally, one of the most important parts of a contract would be the health guarantee and how it is worded since each breed has their individual inherent health problems, e.g. OFA certification, etc. In addition, I would want the puppy to exhibit all the traits and temperament of that specific breed. If you have any doubts about this particular breeder my best advice would be to walk away now. Visit shows, talk to other breeders and take your time so that in the end you feel confident not only in the breeder but in the dog you have purchased from them.

Good luck! :goodluck: You have definitely peeked my interest, as NewYork1303 NewYork1303 has asked, "what breed are you looking for?"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading the responses, I think I will pass this breeder up sadly.
Their dogs are titled in performance and conformation both, but not the big league stuff, which is fine.
Back to the drawing board.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On dog forums I've seen other complaints about breeder contracts, but usually they're on the other side---pushing the "crunchy" ways, like not neutering until over 18 months, an alternative vaccine schedule, feeding raw, etc. I think the generel consensus is that breeders who push Nupro are on the lower side of things. Does this breeder actually have dogs who are titled in performance?

If you're not comfortable with the contract find another breeder. I know it's hard with a rare breed but you don't want to be regretting that for the next 15 years.
The breeder I got one of my dogs from was excellent, they weren't super stringent but asked us to consider not SN'ing til 1-2 years old and encouraged us to research Dr. Jeans vaccine protocol (something we have followed with good results) and didn't feed exclusive raw but helped us find a way to make it doable if our pups thrived, which they did!
That relationship is gold. It's so hard to find now. What dog forum are you on, W Willowy ?