Breeder Giving Me the Runaround..

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have had a bad year. My two twin silver tabby brothers both passed away this year who were the light of my life, granted they were 17yo but I was not ready for the story to end. I also lost a 3yo feral who had lived outdoors since he was a kitten in a shelter I had built for him, who I took in and domesticated last winter (he was very sick) who required months of convalescence, then intensive cage training before incorporating him into my cat family. All together 3 cat deaths in the house in pretty rapid succession.

Remaining, I have a 1 1/2yo silver tabby male (who has lived here for exactly one year) and I am in essence starting over with him as my third generation of cats, some 35+ years of cat keeping. The 1yo is named Kinney who has also had a hard year watching the others get sick and disappear before his eyes. I wanted very much to make it up to him and get him a companion of the same age. Kinney has been a very good sport about living with geriatric cats who were "played out" and the feral who was initially vicious and chased him constantly.

I have Kinney's geneology back four generations and so I located the kennels in his ancestry and wrote to each of them asking if any similarly aged companions might be available. Mostly, I got "NO" responses, but one breeder claimed to have two twin 1yo brothers (silver tabbies) available for placement, either singly or together. The pictures of them were very cute, but they were in Atlanta and I am in the Philadelphia area.

I have never done long distance adoption before, but my parents have acquired dogs in this way and have had no problems mailing away a check, then picking up the dog from the airport shortly thereafter - so I decided to give this a try and agreed to take both brothers rather than split them up. So far, so good...

The breeder sent me a contract by e-mail for me to sign with verbiage stating that I was forbidden from ever tranferring ownership to anyone else without the kennel's consent; that I was to contact them immediately should either of them have so much as a sniffle; the kennel was to be notified of their deaths whenever that occured however far into the future; and that I should include instructions for their care in my will. These seemed like fairly harsh terms to me, but maybe indicated the kennel's sincere concern for their offspring, so...

I did sign the contract and mailed away a check for an amount supposedly equal to the cost of the two cats + their airfare + the cost of two carriers. I also volunteered my phone number many times in the e-mails going back and forth so that we could talk candidly and discuss details of my credibility as a potential owner, personalities of the two perspective adoptees, and plans for shipment.

No return phone call was ever received back from the breeder and in fact even after leaving several voicemails on their answering machine, I have to this date never gotten a call back. She seemed to prefer doing business in this anonymous way via e-mails rather than by phone, like it was some eBay purchase or something. The breeder cashed my check and although it was by now getting close to the Christmas holidays, I had still expected that they would find some time to take the kitties to the Atlanta airport for their trip up to Philadelphia after the holiday festivities were over.

First, there was the excuse that she did not have the carriers to send them and so we waited around for 4-5 days for that supposed delay. I had previously asked if I might return the carriers back to her for a refund (my parents have done this) and she agreed to that. That lead me to believe that she had carriers "at the ready", perhaps used for this purpose - so it surprised me that we should have to wait around for carriers. Maybe she didn't want to be bothered with this chore during her holidays or something, so I didn't push it.

Next, a shipment date was proposed (always by e-mail) which I agreed to, which was then suddenly cancelled several hours later due to a supposed snowstorm in Atlanta expected on the shipment date which would cause all kinds of problems. I looked up the weather forecast for Atlanta on that date and it said 55 and sunny. I was pretty steamed and so simply sent her a screenprint of the forecast from the weather service. Next thing, the shipment was on again.

Just now, on the night before they were due to arrive, I receive another (e-mail) excuse stating that the two kitties were discovered to have bacterial ear infections upon their examination for their health certificates and can not travel for 14 days due to their illnesses. Did I want my money back or did I want to wait for them?

I am beyond disappointed due to the delays, and am now having suspicions of having been swindled by a cattery of all things.

COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
contact the local authorities by you and there with the name and email of this person... has the check been cashed?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dan32

The breeder sent me a contract by e-mail for me to sign with verbiage stating that I was forbidden from ever tranferring ownership to anyone else without the kennel's consent; that I was to contact them immediately should either of them have so much as a sniffle; the kennel was to be notified of their deaths whenever that occured however far into the future; and that I should include instructions for their care in my will. These seemed like fairly harsh terms to me, but maybe indicated the kennel's sincere concern for their offspring, so...
Fairly standard, most catteries have strict contracts. They can contain anything the breeder feels is important to them, and if you don't want to sign well, basically that's not the cattery for you.

Perhaps the weather forecast was wrong, and there really was snow? Really your decision, if you feel you can't trust the breeder then by all means accept her offer of a refund.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The check was cashed, yes. No, I believe the snowstorm was ficticious as possibly was the carrier delay. What do people think about them suddenly having ear infections on the day before their shipment?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sure hope you are notbeing scammed.
Did you research the breeder very well?
Most breeders do have strict contracts.
I had a cat shipped from the east coast to california and everything has been great.
What breed of cat is it?
Maybe I can reasearch the cattery for you.

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
American Shorthair - Silver Tabbies

Before I smear the cattery here, I wanted to know what people thought about:

1. an avoidance of physical phone calls by the breeder,
2. repeated delays in shipping dates,
3. claims of waiting for carriers (do catteries typically have carriers on hand?),
4. last minute illnesses.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will reasearch them for you.
You can not put the cattery name here.
You can pm it though.
I got it before you deleted it.
Everything seems odd to me.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dan32

American Shorthair - Silver Tabbies

Before I smear the cattery here, I wanted to know what people thought about:

1. an avoidance of physical phone calls by the breeder,
2. repeated delays in shipping dates,
3. claims of waiting for carriers (do catteries typically have carriers on hand?),
4. last minute illnesses.
Please direct this to local authorities... Since the check was cashed IMHO you should have kitties with you ... YES things happen but this is fishy...

PLEASE also do NOT mention the cattery name or identifying details on this as that can be used against you and cause issues for the site

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would hope that a breeder would have carriers on hand. I'm just a regular cat owner and I have carriers on hand. And I can't imagine that Atlanta got much snow, although even a little bit would be problematic for them since they aren't used to it (no plows).

I'd have her refund the money for now and then if you're still interested when the 14 days are up, you can renegotiate. The speed with which your refund arrives should be very telling. If she gives it back right away I'd say MAYBE she was telling the truth. But that seems unlikely.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Please direct this to local authorities... Since the check was cashed IMHO you should have kitties with you ...
Kittens are often paid for well before you have them in hand. I would not contact authorities unless she doesn't go ahead with refund, or after recovering from their infection they are not sent.

Originally Posted by Willowy

I would hope that a breeder would have carriers on hand. I'm just a regular cat owner and I have carriers on hand.
Breeders may not always have extra carriers on hand, for me and others I know we get them less than retail so sometimes have to wait for shipments. But, when knowing a kitten needs to be freighted a carrier is arranged.
Carriers for their own cats yes, but not always extras.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got Jack (my Ocicat) - we corresponed more by emails then phonej, but we did talk on the phone several times. Shipping this time of year can be tricky - if the temps are not at least 45 on each end they will not ship the animal (can cancel on the day of shipping).

If you want, pm me the cattery and I'll check it out after we come back from our show this weekend.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a few things to point out.

1. All breeders have carriers on hand, for their own cats. In my case our carriers are soft sided and not airline approved for cargo shipments. When a cat needed to be shipped, we purchased the proper carriers and that cost was passed on to the client.

2. All airlines require a health certificate, signed by a Vet. This certificate is good for 10 days and will state that the cat is in good health, vaccinated, etc.
During the health certificate exam, if the Vet finds a problem he/she will not be able to sign that the cat is ok to travel. Travel will be delayed until the condition discovered is treated and resolved.

3. Shipping delays do happen, especially when the weather is either too hot or too cold or the routing for air travel doesn't work well for the cat.

4. I do feel it's odd that you can't get these people on the phone. Talking on the phone is important when cats are being shipped.

5. Contacting the authorities at this point will be wasting your time. There is no breech of contract yet. You've been given an offer to wait until the cats can be shipped or to accept a refund.
I would email them again and ask when is a good time for YOU to call them when they will be home and have time to speak with you. Be nice and polite about it but be firm that for your own comfort about this transaction you need to speak to them in person.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely a registered breeder must belong to a trade organisation? OR even the trading standards bureau in their locality? There must be some list they are on, to be sure they are a genuine business. I do hope you get your kitties soon and that your run of bad luck ends.

boomerkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would ask for the refund and see if they give you the runaround on that too. I am certain there are plenty of reputable breeders out there that you can get your next cats from.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

Surely a registered breeder must belong to a trade organisation? OR even the trading standards bureau in their locality? There must be some list they are on, to be sure they are a genuine business.
A cattery is not a business.

Here, we are registered with governing bodies, but much of the time it's buyer beware. There is a code of ethics to abide by, and if repeated genuine complaints are made perhaps they will be de-registered. Some rules such as selling to pet shops can be easier to prove than other complaints.

There's always two sides to every story...

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at the site and they are a CFA cattery.
iI told him to call CFA and complain but there is a good chance they will not do anything.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I looked at the site and they are a CFA cattery.
iI told him to call CFA and complain but there is a good chance they will not do anything.
But IMHO, there is a chance that all they are saying is true though... I would be worried if they had not offered a refund, but they did...
IMO it is too early to complain to CFA or anybody else for that matter, about them.
To the OP - I would wait this last time - if they don't ship, I would get the refund. They are not stealing your money, ripping you off... Things can happen...

dan32

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cattery did finally pick up the phone and call this morning to relieve her conscience that I was not enroute to the airport, since I had not replied to her e-mail from last night, which by the way she had sent at 10PM. I said very little on the phone, but asked if there was any reason she no longer wished to place the brothers. She said "not at all". We left it that I would think it over and get back to her with a decision.

Does anyone think it is strange that two cats in a multi-cat cattery both have bacterial ear infections? I have never had any cats with ear infections of any kind other than the feral with ear mites.

I am not "up" on cattery etiquette (if there is any), just being an owner type person. When I acquired Kinney last December from another local cattery, I received no contract at all and assumed that being from a grand prize winning breeder that he was in good health. I did not isolate Kinney for a 10-day period, but instead released him from the back bedroom after three days after he had stopped hiding. He subsequently gave my other two cats very severe cases of the cat flu, which up until that time had been an unknown in the house.

I was chastised on this board for not getting a contract for him (none was offered) and not keeping him in quarantine for a long enough period. That breeder will no longer speak to me after several phone calls to her last year wondering what to do about my cat flu epidemic. She claimed that no cats of hers carried cat flu, but Kinney had come in visibly sneezing and hacking.

To a prospective owner, it is a strange business.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not familiar with catteries, but from a multi-cat home & also as a foster parent for the local shelter - it is common for multiple cats to get things. Like right now I have a URI making rounds in my house, thanks to bringing home a new foster kitty.

IMO - if you are not 100% comfortable with this, then perhaps you should get the refund & search elsewhere, closer to you. What it comes down to is you should be comfortable with the place you are getting the kitties, we cannot tell you if they are right or wrong.