Breeder and lack of information

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have paid a deposit with a Siamese breeder in my area for two male Siamese kittens. She originally told me that she wasn't sure if I would be able to visit her cattery because she had a sick family member so she would let me know.

After that, the only time she contacted me on her own volition was to let me know that she received my deposit check. I asked her to keep me updated on the upcoming litter and let me know when the kittens are born. She agreed.

I hadn't heard from her for a couple months, so I emailed her to check in. She let me know that it should just be a "couple weeks" before the kittens are born and she would let me know when they are born. I waited another few weeks. When I hadn't heard from her I emailed again. She let me know that the kittens were born a couple weeks ago and that she would send photos soon. It has now been almost 3 weeks after that email and I have not heard from her since.

Is this normal? Am I being a pest and expecting too much information?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A good breeder who wants to be reputable and friendly with his customers, helds a more tight contact.
So you dont have luck here.
But as she did acknowledged the prepayment, "you do have her". Thus, I dont think she is frauding you, she is "only" not so good at communications and caring for her customers (and future families of her descendants).

I dont know if she has a big breeding and dont have time with all customers. Or quite possible, this her family member who is sick, who takes a lot of time and mental energy out from her...
Or even, if she is a backyard breeeder...

Try to google. You perhaps know some other who got her kittens...

Although, this is best done before. Now you are in, and without good reasons you shouldnt back out.

Good luck!

ps, no, YOU arent a pest, it is only good you are showing your interest. Although as you yourself know, it is best to do it in a friendly tone, It is easier to talk friendly with friendly people. And you want her to open herself more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I should have mentioned before that I did check her out. She is registered with all of the proper associations and shows her cats. Her cats have won numerous awards and there are also articles about her cattery.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did she tell you if the litter had kittens of the quality, sex and color you were looking for? Does she have an up to date website? If she does, you could maybe find some info there about people who have previously gotten kittens from her.

It does sound odd that she doesn't keep you updated.. Could it be that she's having second thoughts about selling the kittens to you and is now trying to make you call it off so she can keep the deposits? (I'm not sure if the contracts are similar over there but here you get your money back if the breeder backs out, but if you back out they get to keep the deposits).

I do think you should be able to go and see the kittens, I doubt that the sick familymember is going to be sick forever? You could mention that you don't feel comfortable getting the kittens if you can't see how they are living and without seeing their mom (and/or dad)?

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would call her on the phone. And NICELY inquire about when is the best time for her for you to come and see the kittens. Don't ask if it's okay as that gives her an out. Just ask when "this weekend" for example, would be the most convenient time for her.

If she puts you off again - then I would tell her that you have the impression something is a bit amiss and you are a bit unnerved at the lack of communication.

Only you know how much research you did about this breeder - so you have to be comfortable with that. Bad things do happen.

I myself am having a similar trouble at the moment. I researched this breeder (and breeders in general of this kind) extensively - I mean months on end. I can't get this woman to return my email to save my soul. It's very frustrating and I wish you luck. I hope it all works out for you!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering if the OP ever got communication from the breeder and the status of the kit?

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I kind of received communication from the breeder. I let her know recently that I had decided to go with a different breeder and due to her lack of communication, not being able to visit, and lack of photos.

I had just visited another breeder who allows and encourages visits at any time (other than the first ten days after a birth). She wont even take deposits unless the buyer visits. In between when I talked to her on the phone and visited, she sent me maybe 12 photos. Not only all that, but her cats are very friendly and affectionate, even her females.

As it turns out, a 6 week old lilac point female became available while were were there and my husband fell in love with her. She is super friendly, outgoing, affectionate, playful, and loves to be handled. So not only are we taking her home when she is 12 weeks old, but we are going to adopt 2 boys from her next litter. She has already sent two additional photos of our little girl, Freya.

The old breeder was not happy that I cancelled. At first she said she was disappointed but was still available if I had any questions about the breed. But then she emailed back to say that she hadn't said that I couldn't visit at all, just not until they were just ready to leave and that she's a licensed mediator.

But all in all it ended well. I love the new breeder and I am very happy and much more comfortable dealing with her. And I know, after visiting her and her kittens that I will get new family members that will fit in well. I'm just a little sad that I had to cancel on the other breeder and that she's upset.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm rather biased re Siamese, and of course I think she's a beauty.

I also believe in Karma and I think you were meant to go to this new breeder to get this lovely little girl.

The first breeder should have been more communicative with you - it's her loss.

momto3boys

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is GORGEOUS

I LOVE the Modern Siamese and have a seal point boy, I am on the waiting list for another (blue or lilac) and the breeder and I have constant contact.

I wouldn't be able to go through a breeder that had poor communication, no matter the reason. Sounds like in the end you found the perfect breeder for your family

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you found another breeder, and this beauty! The other one lost her sale due to poor communication. Hopefully she learned her lesson

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by FedLawyer

I'm just a little sad that I had to cancel on the other breeder and that she's upset.
we can understand she upset. did she payed back the first money, or did you lost them?

Lets hope she got a lesson and is communicating better in the future to other customers.

Otherwise I agree, a breeder who does communciate well is important AND nice to have. Especielly if you have any though on perhaps breeding yourself.
Perhaps as a sub-breeder to this one in the beginning - getting simultaneously a mentor.
OR if you want to participate in shows. Try it!

Good luck!

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, I didn't get my deposit back. I actually didn't even ask for it. To a certain extent I figured that it was fair that she keep it. That deposit held my place for two male kittens for 5 months. So I didn't bother trying to get it back. I figured it was a lesson learned.

Maybe this is just her business practice, who knows? It seems she has no problem selling her kittens. But, I don't have to agree with her business practices or buy kittens from her.

In any case, tack så mycket StefanZ!

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about this experience but you must have been meant to get your cat from the other breeder. Congrats! Freya looks so beautiful!

fedlawyer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went to visit Freya yesterday and it looks like she will be a blue point instead of a lilac point. She's getting darker. So I agree, we were meant to have her.
When the man that originally had a deposit on her called to say that he didn't want to wait for her because she is three weeks younger than the other kittens, he also mentioned that he didn't want a lilac point. He only wanted a blue point. Right time right place.