Breed?

Aero02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, so my family always had cats and dogs my whole life. I had a dog and he sadly passed a couple of months ago, and due to me being in college I can only have one pet at a time due to time constraints. One of the cats got pregnant and I took a liking to one of the kittens and finally decided to bring him to my college house. I know it’s a mix breed, but any idea what mixes this cat could be? IMG_5267.jpeg
IMG_5271.jpeg
IMG_5269.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aero02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_5272.png
This is what a scanner said, but it has said a ton of different things

Aero02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also sorry for adding so many diff
Hey, so my family always had cats and dogs my whole life. I had a dog and he sadly passed a couple of months ago, and due to me being in college I can only have one pet at a time due to time constraints. One of the cats got pregnant and I took a liking to one of the kittens and finally decided to bring him to my college house. I know it’s a mix breed, but any idea what mixes this cat could be?View attachment 471160View attachment 471162View attachment 471161
IMG_5273.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I vote for a domestic short hair, DSH.

The question is, is he broken mackerel, or is he spotted? On the last photo we see he is probably to count as spotted tabby. Not that common, but it does happens among domestics too.
The white around mouth is no true withe spot, its common with tabbies.

Ps. If you dont have much time, it may be easier to have TWO cats, whom are pals, than having one cat.
So they can held each other company, wrestle, race together. Less work for you, less forced playtime by you.

they will bind to you anyway.

Aero02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I vote for a domestic short hair, DSH.

The question is, is he broken mackerel, or is he spotted? On the last photo we see he is probably to count as spotted tabby. Not that common, but it does happens among domestics too.
The white around mouth is no true withe spot, its common with tabbies.

Ps. If you dont have much time, it may be easier to have TWO cats, whom are pals, than having one cat.
So they can held each other company, wrestle, race together. Less work for you, less forced playtime by you.

they will bind to you anyway.
My roommate has a tabby that we are slowing introducing him to! I have class from 9-5 usually m-f so we are hoping they get along well

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I vote for broken mackerel. In one word: Tabby.

I don't think the "Cat Scanner" app is accurate. He's not a Bengal because Bengals have circular spots with brown centers, more like leopard spots. (AKA: "Rosettes") Your guy's pattern is more like broken stripes than spots, even though many striped tabbies have spots on their bellies.

Whether he's a European Short Hair or an American Short Hair is up for debate. It depends on where he originates from. Europe or North America. Probably better to say "Domestic Short Hair."

If I was going to correct the app, I'd make it say, "DSH" first and "Tabby" second. Egyptian Mau is right out. Not even close! It's a cool app but it seems like it needs work.

BTW: Tabbies are my favorite kind of cat! I used to call them "Tiger Cats" when I was a kid and I always wanted to have one but I wasn't allowed. My father raised dogs and he always said that the dogs would "eat" cats. When I finally moved out and as able to get my own cat, my first was a tabby and, in total, three out of the six cats that I've had have been tabbies.

Your boy looks like one happy, little kitty all snuggled up in bed! I can tell that you're already taking good care of him and I'm sure that he'll take good care of you, too! If your roommate has a cat, I have no doubt that the two of them will become good "cat buddies" if you give them enough time.

Taking care of two cats really isn't much more work than taking care of one and, as the others say, they'll entertain each other.

Aero02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always called them “little tigers” I had an outside cat when I was younger (dad didn’t like cats so wouldn’t let him in the house) he had about the same pattern with grey black, but he had blue eyes he was precious, but he disappeared one day 😢

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always called them “little tigers”
That's our little guy's nickname! "Little Tiger" or "Tiger Boy!"

We've got two cats. One is the white cat in my avatar picture. His name is Casper. He's going on ten years old. The other is Elliot, not quite two years old. He's a tiger tabby that looks a little bit like your guy except that Elliot doesn't have broken stripes.

Casper is the "old man" of the house and he, pretty much, runs the show around here while Elliot is the "little upstart."

Be sure to tell your "Little Tiger" that our "Little Tiger" says, "Meow!" ;)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I always called them “little tigers” I had an outside cat when I was younger (dad didn’t like cats so wouldn’t let him in the house) he had about the same pattern with grey black, but he had blue eyes he was precious, but he disappeared one day 😢
He was probably a point "siamese-mix". Sometimes, when they are very tabby patterned, its barely visible they are point, unless you are used to recognize them... This with blue eyes is the easiest give away.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A Aero02 I'd say your scanner is a little off, considering that Tabby is a coat pattern, not a breed.
Kitty looks like a Domestic Shorthair with a Mackerel Tabby pattern. Could be called a broken mackerel tabby.