Breed?

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What breed if any other than tabby can u see here??
received_4821587231229167.jpeg

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lots of people call "tabby" a breed, while it's just a coloring. She's tabby. but seems to be blue, which is the cat term for grey, which is a light version (or dilute) of black. Her tabby pattern looks to be striped, which is called mackerel. And, she seems to have short hair, so I'd call her a domestic short hair, dilute black mackerel tabby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lots of people call "tabby" a breed, while it's just a coloring. She's tabby. but seems to be blue, which is the cat term for grey, which is a light version (or dilute) of black. Her tabby pattern looks to be striped, which is called mackerel. And, she seems to have short hair, so I'd call her a domestic short hair, dilute black mackerel tabby.
Ty :)

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you don't possess Purebreed papers or a Contract from a recognized Association breeder then you have a "Domestic Short hair cat. Plain and Simple.
Actually I recently got a bengal / blue point Siamese cross. Saw both parents. I'm a registered vet tech through Ridgetown college On. CANADA.I was asking about the other cat for a friend, but being a vet tech and knowing the mother was a purebred bengal and father of my 3 month old Cross was a purebred blue point u dont always need papers. In the case of the kitten above a friend was telling me there was Savannah and bengal in it to which I said no, u have a DSH tabby. When my friend argued, I came on here. But I will show u a bengal / blue point cross I recently got.

vansX2 said:
If you don't possess Purebreed papers or a Contract from a recognized Association breeder then you have a "Domestic Short hair cat. Plain and Simple.
Furthermore my friend my question wasn't about breeding the cat. It was simply what breeds if any do you see in the kitten. I had a dog through the ckc once with papers and am s RVT as I said. So your answer didnt coincide with my question....

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we see the fancy bengal spots can detoriate immediately if mixed out. Thus, many of them I thought may have a granddad Ancestor, some of they could have already the dad as Ancestor.
yep..right on the money...but they can throw back to the Egyptian Maus the foundation cats were often bred with and have smaller spots..just to confuse you..lol

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Furthermore my friend my question wasn't about breeding the cat. It was simply what breeds if any do you see in the kitten. I had a dog through the ckc once with papers and am s RVT as I said. So your answer didnt coincide with my question....
Cats aren't like dogs though. Almost all dogs have some recognizable breed background, even if very mixed-breed. Cats aren't like that; most cats have no breed background. . .cats have always just done their cat thing with no human involvement. But, yeah, it's possible for a cat to be purebred or mixed-breed without papers. There's just no way to prove it.

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here we see the fancy bengal spots can detoriate immediately if mixed out. Thus, many of them I thought may have a granddad Ancestor, some of they could have already the dad as Ancestor.
I saw the parents. The mother was a purebred bengal and the father a purebred blue point siamese. I saw them physically at the home I got the cat. So I know what the cat is. If you're referring to the kitten I got a month ago. Lol. Wasn't asking about it. I know what it is . Hard not to when the mom looked like this...
Screenshot_20220215-131751_Chrome.jpg

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats aren't like dogs though. Almost all dogs have some recognizable breed background, even if very mixed-breed. Cats aren't like that; most cats have no breed background. . .cats have always just done their cat thing with no human involvement. But, yeah, it's possible for a cat to be purebred or mixed-breed without papers. There's just no way to prove it.
There is if you physically met the parent cats. And know wrought about the physical appearance of a breed

You are correct cats aren't dogs. I'll give you that. As a vet tech I do know that much ;)

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yep..right on the money...but they can throw back to the Egyptian Maus the foundation cats were often bred with and have smaller spots..just to confuse you..lol
As do savannah. But savannahs aren't direct decendants of the Asian leopard cat. Domestic bengals evolved from a failed cancer research project in the 1980's making hybrid domestic cats bred with the Asian leopard cat. The only true bengals would be the f(1)s or first generation as far as that goes. Once the project fell through they bred the cats with abysinnians , siamese , and other intelligent breeds. So f(1) through f(6) is how many generations removed from the original domestic cat that was bred with the asianleopard cat is. Thats the background on the bengal. To truely trace the background of your bengal ypu are going back 40 years to another continent as far as papers go. So they mean nothing really.

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you see the paperwork?
Appearances can be deceiving.
Mom looked like this. Dad a blue point cause I've had one before when I was younger. Then I had a purebred seal point. As far as paperwork you came trust it either cause you'd have to trace back 40 years to another continent when the cross breeding of the Asian leopard cat with a domestic cat took place til the cancer research project fell through. So to know for sure f(1) through f(6) f being generations removed from the original breeding then paperwork is bogus as well isnt it ;).

Attachments

Dficzere79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hence f1-f6 . Generations removed from the original cross breeding of the leopard cat with a domestic breed for cancer research til the project fell through. U are correct.... well... kinda
You seem to have a vague idea of it all. But you need to research the topic of a bengal more than just the physical appearance and paperwork. Like where it all started Stefan before you start guessing at bengal ( asian leopard bred ) cats my friend.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom looked like this. Dad a blue point cause I've had one before when I was younger. Then I had a purebred seal point. As far as paperwork you came trust it either cause you'd have to trace back 40 years to another continent when the cross breeding of the Asian leopard cat with a domestic cat took place til the cancer research project fell through. So to know for sure f(1) through f(6) f being generations removed from the original breeding then paperwork is bogus as well isnt it ;).
This looks like a pic of a bengal from a website. Do you have photos of the actual claimed parents of your kitten together in the home where you saw them? I would be curious to see that.