breed(s) identification

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello,
i was wondering if there was anyone that could tell me what type of kitty my Saki is. I'm just curious really. We adopted her back in February of this year, and was told that she was between 1-2 years old. she weighs about 10 lbs, give or take, and is the gentlest thing on the planet. she is quiet most of the time, but does meow to let us know she is hungry, or doesn't want to be held anymore. when she is picked up, there is no struggling, and she just kind of goes limp and takes it. she is like that with just about everything we do to her, nails, grooming, etc. here is a couple pics of her, sorry they are so big:

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's just a DLH, no breed. Believe it or not, cats do not need to be of a particular breed to be that pretty.

Unless you get a cat directly from a breeder, a breed rescue or a friend that got it that way. A cat is usually not a pure bred.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
"breed" is DHL, ie domestic long hair, or longhaired moggie in plain english. As said above. But you ask about type - I would say NCO, ie Norvegian Forest Cat. This triangular face typical for them. Her being rather big too...

OOPS! a little errata in spelling. Norvegian Forest Cat must give the acronym NFC....

Nice cat and family member you had luck to get!

(the very most ARE nice, but not all are as easy to handle!)

Good luck!

ps Welcome to the Forums!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks! that's what I figured she was, which is more than fine with me! my younger sister and i had been just looking at cat breeds for kicks and giggles and had she had gotten it into her head that Saki looks like some breed called a ragamuffin. i personally prefer "mutt" kitties anyway, and Saki has to be one of the best that I've ever known, both in looks and temperament.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A very lovely and striking marked calico domestic longhair. But she does look a little Norweigan Forest Cat looking - tho I'm sure she doesn't have that in the background.

You've kept her well groomed

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
believe it or not, we don't do much to keep her groomed. she goes to a professional twice a year, mostly to get her paw pads shaved and her back end trimmed up. other than that, we occasionally brush her. I honestly think it's the food that keeps her looking that good. or else my sister is actually brushing her behind my back. i actually should go and run a brush through her right now.... when we got her she had some nasty mats behind her ears, that i almost wasn't able to get out. thankfully, since then, it's been a breeze! her name at the shelter was Sakura, but I thought it was too much of a mouthful for everyday use, so it got shortened to just Saki! thanks for all the compliments on her, we truly feel blessed to have such a sweetheart in our home.

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, just spoke to my sister, and my suspicions have been confirmed. She does't brush Saki at all! Shd equates it to nail clipping, or litter box cleaning. So I think Saki gets a thorough brushing maybe once a month. I can't even remember the last time I had to brush dingleberries out!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend who breeds Wegies and they don't typically mat, some Raggie lines are said to be easy care too so it is possible to have a long hair that doesn't need daily combing, even in a domestic.

It's still a good idea to get her used to regular combing (not brushing) as her coat may change and fill out as she matures and you don't want her to fight your grooming.

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's a good point. When I do feel like brushing her, she is always so pathetic and easy going that she doesn't struggle and just cries a little. We do bathe her every other month or so, because her fur tends to get that oily look and doesn't lie flat and sleek. Would that be another contribute to the fact that she doesn't require as much brushing? We never brush her afterwards, just let her air dry by the fire.

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
p.s. - everyone keeps mentioning combing Saki instead of brushing? I have a flea comb, a furminator (only used during the heavy shedding times), and a basic slicker brush. what would be a good comb to use?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is very pretty! Ever thought about showing her? Sakura is a very pretty name too, "Sakura" is the Japanese name for the flowering cherry tree, like this:

My brother's Maine Coon (purebred) never gets mats except for sometimes very small tangles behind the ears, even if not brushed. She really does not need any grooming. He usually just combs behind her ears with a metal flea comb if she starts to get the little tangles, and that's the extent of her grooming most of the time, except when I was showing her (2+ years ago).

Here's a recent pic:

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sakura is also one of the more common girl's names in Japan. I like Saki better for everyday use as well, the long "u" in sakura doesn't fit too well with everyday use in our language.

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i have passingly thought about showing her, but is that even possible since she is spayed? i know that there was a show that happened in the area (about 1.5 hrs away), but haven't really looked in depth at that stuff. i thought it might be fun though, mostly just to show her off to people =)

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can show spayed non-purebred cats in the household pet (HHP) category. I've shown most of my current DSH cats at least once. (You can show spayed purebred cats too, as alters.)

This is my current HHP "show cat" Harley, who was a rescued feral baby. She is currently a Quad Grand Master in TICA:

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
guess it's time to start researching the cat shows to find some in my area!