Breed/coloring?

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I need a bit of help figuring out my kitty's breed and coloring!
When we first got him we were told he was a domestic medium hair. I'm sort of obsessed with genes and coloring although I know little to nothing about it. I did notice that he seemed more like a long hair than a medium hair - he has more fluffy fur distributed than a typical medium hair cat would, in my opinion. I was also thinking he may have tabby genes as well (looking at the faded "m" on his head as well as the faded darker stripes on his legs)

He has a variation of different colors (I've tried drawing him and it was quite difficult because of all the different shades, lol): I see both mouse gray and blue gray on him and I actually see straight up brown on his sides. He has cream/white coloring on his belly, insides of his legs, and some of his face. His belly fur is a little wavy but I know that's common in medium-long haired cats.

It may be completely far fetched but I was also considering he might have Nebelung in his genes. His eyes are a pale green and it may not look like it in the photos (maybe in the first one) but he has a thin layer of silver fur on his legs, I've noticed.

I don't mind whatever breed he is, I just find genes very cool! (His name is Ashes, by the way!!)
20220129_125218.jpg
20220121_231033.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
He’s a gorgeous blue tabby DLH 🙂. genetically, cats only come in shorthair and longhair. Couldn’t tell you what pattern, based off these photos, with any certainty, but it’s generally difficult with longhairs. He’s quite possibly ticked tabby, based on the markings on the head, but a photo of his side may be helpful.

Nebelubg are long haired Russian Blues, which don’t come in tabby. Additionally, they’re an extremely rare breed. The vast majority of cats don’t have any breed ancestry in a relevant capacity. It doesn’t make them any less special.

Brief runover of his genetics:

ll B- dd A- TiATi+ (assuming he’s ticked, which masks the underlying tabby pattern)

ll — longhair, recessive
B- — black, the dominant allele of the brown locus. He’s most likely BB, as cinnamon and chocolate are quite rare in non-pedigrees
dd — recessive dilute gene that turns black to blue and red to cream
A- — dominant agouti gene, causes the tabby pattern. He may or may not carry nonagouti (solid)
TiATi+ — if he is ticked tabby, he most likely only has one copy of the ticked gene. He does have an underlying pattern (either classic or mackerel), but it’s not possible to tell by looking at him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is really cool! Also yeah, I assumed the Nebelung genes would be very far fetched, didn't honestly expect it. He is still my gorgeous boy <3 thank you for all the insight!!

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, if I can, I will get more clear photos of his sides. Although he loves sleeping so that will be a tough one! :flail:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree, domestic long hair, diluted tabby.

If you want to compare with some recognized breed, so perhaps with the Siberian forest cat, if he is biggish.
Or with the German Longhair, whose are common in Germany and countries around.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous boy❤ He looks like a dlh blue tabby to me as well. I love his soft color. I would say he has some forest cat ancestry as well, like Siberian possibly as Stefan mentioned for a look alike. Would have to do a collage to compare.

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, with him being a mackerel tabby, how might this change the genes you explained previously, Maurey?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
1643719012116.gif

Just the tabby gene code.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
That, or TaMTaB, since classic tabby is recessive

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Genes are so confusing but so cool :lol:
Is there any guess as to what patterns/colors his parents might have had?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Mum would have to be black or black tortie (or dilute), and dad would have to be black if mum is black/blue, or either colour if mum is tortie. One or both of them would have to have been tabby, both of them would have to be or carry longhair and dilute.
Can’t be much more specific given his colour.

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Could momma be a longhair black tortie carrying dilute (And would carrying dilute affect the black or would it just be existing without any affect on the color?)
If so, what could the father be? I know he must be tabby if mom isnt

im sorry for so many questions im kinda just interested in this stuff

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Dilute is recessive, so no, she would just look like a black tortie. Dad could be black or red carrying dilute, or blue or cream. Could be shorthair carrying longhair, or longhair. Would be tabby if mum doesn’t have it.

DrizzlingSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohh!! last thing: is there any genetics linked to their eye color? I know most of the time coat color can determine eye color.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh!! last thing: is there any genetics linked to their eye color? I know most of the time coat color can determine eye color.
Eye colour genetics are little understood. Most of the time, eye colour is linked to coat because of many generations of selective breeding. That said, there are a few exceptions. Pointed cats will always have blue eyes, mink will have aqua eyes. White spotting and epistatic white can cause blue eyes and heterochromia.