Breathing Issue - Inflamed Bronchials

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have posted on here before talking about how my cat gets a cough every couple of months. Vet did a chest xray and stated that she has fluid around one of her lungs. We normally treat with two rounds of antibiotic injections (baytril) and a steroid shot.
We went to the vet about a week before Christmas and was treated. Her cough came back in the end of Feb/beginning of March. We go back to the vet and get the same treatment. I asked about switching to Convenia because that is what the previous vet uses and thought maybe her body was getting immune to Baytril. Vet did not have Convenia at the time, so had to stick to Baytril.
Maybe 3 weeks later, she is coughing again. This time her breathing is getting worse, short labored breathing - I will attach a video. Return back to the vet. He states that it doesn't sound like fluid, but more like her bronchial tubes are inflamed- and that allergies could be making it difficult for her to breathe. I wanted him to do a chest xray but he saw no use for it. Treats her with convenia and steroid. It has almost been a week and she is not doing any better. I hate seeing her like this. Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd avoid Convenia. It's known to cause issues in some cats. There's more info here: Convenia- long term antibiotic: Is it worth the risk?

Has asthma been ruled out? Can you get a second opinion from another vet?
I will look into the Convenia article.
Asthma hasn't been ruled out. This is basically the second opinion vet. The first vet we used kept saying she had bronchitis and wanted to treat with Convenia and steroid - never offered any other options. We switched to current vet, he did chest xray and found fluid around lung. Baytril and steroid helped for a few months, but now it seems to be getting worse/happening more.

I'm tired of going to vets who don't seem to take cats seriously 😔

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
My poor girl seemed to be feeling worse. She would move constantly trying to get comfortable. She got up and started limping on her right paw. I tried to examine her, but she didn't want anything to do with it. She went and got water, then walked into the bathroom and peed on my rug - she has never done this before. Again when walking she acted like her paw/arm was weak or that she was struggling to use it.
I ended up taking her into the vet. He stated she had a fever. Did a chest xray and her lung is a lot worse than it was a year ago. The other lung looked okay, but had fluid surrounding it. We decided to leave her over for a few nights so he is able to give her IV meds. I am praying this helps my girl feel better. 😭 I can't imagine not having her sweet little face around anymore. Please keep her in your thoughts ❤

brittany.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sis stayed two nights at the vet. Vet said there was 'slight' improvement but not much. Sis is home now. Seems to be very weak, not moving much. Will get up to drink and then lay down, sit up to drink and then go hide behind the recliner again. We wete given a diuretic and liquid antibiotic. She is not interested in eating. But I am hoping to see some improvement in the next few days :(