Breakaway collar troubles

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put my collars back on my cats after a series of events, and everything is fixed except one. They're all breakaway collars and one cat is very good at triggering the breakaway. I've gone through several collars with her but they all have the standard clip (example) and none have made it even a whole day, except one and she tore it up so bad it became itchy. I've seen other breakaway-clip types but none on collars in her size (small adult). Thing is, this is the one cat most likely to catch herself on something so it needs to be a breakaway. I'm hoping for a collar that doesn't break unless there's some actually some major tugging/pulling.

Last night I used plastic ties (the kind you use for produce bags) to hold it in place, tucked the ends into the collar, and hoped it would hold in most circumstances. At breakfast she got it off.

Does anyone know of secondary clips or materials I could use? Someone recommended velcro, but I can't see that breaking off if she gets caught. It's a nice collar with material that doesn't tear easy and a quality locked-in tag, so I'm trying to keep using it. However, it's not a "must have," but finding a collar with decent materials and a secure clip for a small adult cat is oddly difficult.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my mom's cats (her cats go outside) does the same thing. I've given up because I don't live there anymore and my parents aren't going to try that hard. But if she was mine I think I could find something. One thing I've considered is tying the buckle with thread, just one strand tied in a knot. I think that would snap if she got hung up but not too easily. A little elastic or a small bit of velcro might work too (Beastie Bands use velcro and they're supposed to be safe). It just needs to be something that doesn't snap super easily but will break if necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shadyferret

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. My parents' cat destroyed a piece of curtain so I have some extra threads :p I'll try a few this weekend. The biggest problem I foresee is trying to tie it on her (after I adjust the length) so that could be fun.