Bravo Canned Cat Foods

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't see much on here about them but the ingredients seem very good to me.
thoughts?
here's an example of chicken and liver
Chicken, chicken broth, chicken heart, chicken liver, natural flavor, salmon oil, cranberries, agar-agar, dried green lipped mussels, dandelion greens, parsley, tricalcium phosphate, choline chloride, salt, potassium chloride, taurine, calcium carbonate, turmeric, iron amino acid chelate, magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

and turkey fricasse
Turkey, turkey broth, vegetable broth, turkey heart, turkey liver, dried eggs, natural flavor, agar-agar, cranberries, salmon oil, dried green lipped mussels, dandelion greens, parsley, salt, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, taurine, turmeric, potassium chloride, iron amino acid chelate, magnesium amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, calcium iodate, thiamine mononitrate, niacin supplement, vitamin E supplement, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
They look high in protein and are grain-free, which is great! I think the only questionable ingredient is the agar-agar. I’m not sure if it’s as bad as carrageenan, though, but I think it’s similar as an algae-based additive.

Here’s an older thread about agar-agar vs. carrageenan: agar-agar = carrageenan?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to buy Bravo canned food for our cats -- they absolutely loved two of the fricasses and it's very decent food. But, like abyeb abyeb , I just wasn't sure about the agar-agar so I stopped feeding it because I also avoid carrageenan, albeit with very occasional exceptions for "treat" foods that the cats like. (They love Nutro Natural Choice duck!) Our cats have quirky digestive systems so there are quite a few ingredients I stay away from.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other post. I dont know about agar-agar either, but i do avoid it and carrageenan. My beloved Dr. Elseys puts Agar-agar in their canned cat food too, so it breaks my ever-loving heart :) that i cant feed it.. they love the dry.

I have wanted to try the Bravo, but didn't because of the agar-agar. and the green lipped mussels, i think this is very good for cats, but the foods i have tried with it my cats will not touch for some weird reason. :(

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm one that doesn't have strong feelings against agar-agar or the mussels although I don't feed many foods with that item. There are other additives that scare the :censored: outta me, but that's another discussion :tongue: .
In any case, this kind of thing is the main reason I'm trying to feed a variety of brands.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm one that doesn't have strong feelings against agar-agar or the mussels although I don't feed many foods with that item. There are other additives that scare the :censored: outta me, but that's another discussion :tongue: .
i really think the mussels would be great for cats, but i have tried some other brands and mine wont eat it, little stinkers :(

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats seem to like the mussels: they're in the EZComplete supplement, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunflower7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In any case, this kind of thing is the main reason I'm trying to feed a variety of brands.
yes, a good reason for variety. I'm googling articles now about variety and of course, some say offer many brands, some say stick with one, oy vey, can't win!
and it seems all the foods I feed, fed or want to feed have either agar agar, guar, carageenen( this one I avoid), oils that are controversial, too much seafood, menodiane, or SOMETHING! ugh, so I am thinking, at 4 brands, they are only getting 1/4 of their diet with one of those "bad boys "in it. haha
why didn't I research my own CHILDREN'S FOOD this way? as I sit here eating snyders pretzels...lol..seems like I am pretty much a #nutcase

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
why didn't I research my own CHILDREN'S FOOD this way? as I sit here eating snyders pretzels...lol..seems like I am pretty much a #nutcase
LOL, isn't the truth?! these little balls of furry joy (and all the accompanying "things") really get us going :catlove:

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
S sunflower7 -- I'm with you about not researching food for humans as carefully! I only cut the carrageenan out of our diets after I learned about it because of cat food! I have pretty much the same list of no-nos as you do so definitely sympathize with your four brands. (Since our cats get picky, that's the big reason they're fed so much raw and home-cooked food!)