Bravecto

LAL

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have read some older posts about problems with Bravecto [90 day].

I've had my [first and only] cat since October of last year. She has had 2 treatments with it and is due again for flea treatment in mid-May. She didn't have any noticeable issues from Bravecto treatment.

Do I do Bravecto again? If so, do I buy it from the vet again? Is it cheaper elsewhere--if the vet will give me Rx? Do I need Rx? Should I ask for a different treatment?

Is OTC treatment just as effective? [Only pet, indoor only.]

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not know about Bravecto, i have never used it. you could look online to see what it cost, but you would most likely need a prescription from your vet to buy it. Might be worth it, might not.

With my indoor cats we use Advantage multi that i get from the vet, it kills several different internal parasites, but not ticks, which i dont really worry about as mine never go outside. It does protect against heart worm, and as we live in the south with mosquitoes i think that's a good thing.

With outside cats i have used advantage II or frontline that you can get from walmart, they do ticks, flees and mites, but not internal parasites. It may be a bit cheaper, but not by much, so i just stick to what i get from the vet, as they have better dosages for different weight cats. Mine range from 7 to 14 lbs, so they need different dosages :) The really cheap stuff over the counter frankly im a bit afraid of.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your cat has used Bravecto twice now with no issues, then you are probably safe. The fact of the matter is that any cat (or dog or horse or sheep or...you get the idea) can have a reaction to any medication, just as any human can. Just because one cat had a bad reaction does not mean that all of them will. And there is NO medication for ANYTHING on the market right now that, to my knowledge, has NEVER had a single bad reaction.

However, discuss your concerns with your vet. Ask how often and how severe side effects are. Ask about alternatives. If your vet is impatient about your concerns, we can give you some guidance on how to choose a vet more in tune with the needs of both your cat AND you.