Bravecto

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just found out that my local vet will stop prescribing/selling Revolution which is what my cat currently uses. They'll be replacing that with Bravecto, a flea med I've never really heard of. A couple of Google searches later, I found super mixed reviews where dogs/cats vomited and nearly died. The reviews made me think of Cheristin which is a med I used only once for my cat and he acted negatively to. Is there anyone knowledge about this brand and perhaps can tell me more? 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, find another vet who will provide revolution.......

While there are many mixed reviews, yet nothing ever confirmed supposedly linking death and/or illness/damage, I most definitely have serious reserves on this med simply due to the mixed reviews and mostly because I don't feel comfortable with such a new product and the clinical trials, which have been small and short.

Now my biggest red flag came straight from my vets mouth, I was chatting with her on a personal level, discussing cancer in cats, I am well aware of the huge rate of which cats get cancer, I mean nearly half of deaths????? What is wrong with this picture.........

We talked about how both of our gut instincts scream food we give, but also some of the longer lasting flea meds, she mentioned that she thinks Bravecto may have caused or contributed to her own dog's recent passing and said she will NEVER use a longer lasting med nor will she carry it in her practice. Lesson learned.......

Manufacturers are business people who aim to create products that will sell and make them money.

Fine, but are too quick to put them out there without longer trials, larger trials and studies, for example, what might the effects be later on, years later? 

Look at all of the human drugs that have come out only to be found to be dangerous/deadly and pulled off the market.

And human medicine has much, much higher standards for safety than pets do......scary.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If revolutions what you want (I personally think it's the best thing since sliced bread) then go to another vet or order it from Australia through petshed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yes, find another vet who will provide revolution.......

While there are many mixed reviews, yet nothing ever confirmed supposedly linking death and/or illness/damage, I most definitely have serious reserves on this med simply due to the mixed reviews and mostly because I don't feel comfortable with such a new product and the clinical trials, which have been small and short.

Now my biggest red flag came straight from my vets mouth, I was chatting with her on a personal level, discussing cancer in cats, I am well aware of the huge rate of which cats get cancer, I mean nearly half of deaths????? What is wrong with this picture.........

We talked about how both of our gut instincts scream food we give, but also some of the longer lasting flea meds, she mentioned that she thinks Bravecto may have caused or contributed to her own dog's recent passing and said she will NEVER use a longer lasting med nor will she carry it in her practice. Lesson learned.......

Manufacturers are business people who aim to create products that will sell and make them money.

Fine, but are too quick to put them out there without longer trials, larger trials and studies, for example, what might the effects be later on, years later? 

Look at all of the human drugs that have come out only to be found to be dangerous/deadly and pulled off the market.

And human medicine has much, much higher standards for safety than pets do......scary.
That is extremely scary. Would you categorize flea meds every month as long-lasting? I hate to use it but it's necessary as I have a dog as well (and he takes the capsules). 
If revolutions what you want (I personally think it's the best thing since sliced bread) then go to another vet or order it from Australia through petshed.
I've never heard of Petshed until now so thanks for letting me know. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you have something that works, has been around awhile, and your pet already tolerates it well, then STICK TO IT!  There are plenty of places you can get Revolution, and I think it is totally unfair of your local vet to stop selling it.  Perhaps it isn't a money maker for him?  Perhaps it was just the reps who talked him out of it.  If I were you, I would print out a bunchy of the articles about Bravecto and give them to your vet.  We have one local vet who is leading a movement to have Bravecto banned because she did use it and dogs died from it.  It's one of those products that some dogs (and cats) have a genetic sensitivity to, like ivermectin.  Dogs can be tested, but so far cats cannot.  Don't risk it.  Stick to Revolution and tell your vet thats what you are doing.

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

If you have something that works, has been around awhile, and your pet already tolerates it well, then STICK TO IT!  There are plenty of places you can get Revolution, and I think it is totally unfair of your local vet to stop selling it.  Perhaps it isn't a money maker for him?  Perhaps it was just the reps who talked him out of it.  If I were you, I would print out a bunchy of the articles about Bravecto and give them to your vet.  We have one local vet who is leading a movement to have Bravecto banned because she did use it and dogs died from it.  It's one of those products that some dogs (and cats) have a genetic sensitivity to, like ivermectin.  Dogs can be tested, but so far cats cannot.  Don't risk it.  Stick to Revolution and tell your vet thats what you are doing.
I had asked why, and no one was able to give me a proper answer except that it is happening. And I'll see what I can do about that. But I think most likely, I'll have to find a new vet even though I have no idea what constitutes a good vet. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I had asked why, and no one was able to give me a proper answer except that it is happening. And I'll see what I can do about that. But I think most likely, I'll have to find a new vet even though I have no idea what constitutes a g
It seems more than reasonable for you to order it online and and the company request a prescription from the vet despite that he is no longer carrying it.

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Taichibulldog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just found out that my local vet will stop prescribing/selling Revolution which is what my cat currently uses. They'll be replacing that with Bravecto, a flea med I've never really heard of. A couple of Google searches later, I found super mixed reviews where dogs/cats vomited and nearly died. The reviews made me think of Cheristin which is a med I used only once for my cat and he acted negatively to. Is there anyone knowledge about this brand and perhaps can tell me more?
You folks can use this if you choose as for me i rather err on the side of caution before risking her life on something known to be very risky at least and much worse in reality.

Zoetis Revolution for Cats

Taichibulldog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
btw BRAVECTO GOT REALLY BAD REVIEWS TOO and that's what brought me here today trying to see if it was safe. all these folks can not be lying as they have no incentive to do so imho.

really having a tough time on what to use for my cat and dog too. previously i used amour guard plus as it had the same 2 ingredients as advantix and front line at a far cheaper price. had no issues or reactions with them. Yet, upon doing online research which i often do, i ran across the horror stories related to fipronil stories .
what was most troubling is that it was said that your pet can have used this before and be perfectly fine and the next time they have a bad reaction to it. if i recall something related to lot's and age of the drug. though that part is sorta fuzzy.
to make matters worse the incompetent, untrustworthy and corrupt FDA and EPA have raised red flags on the these topical products but their handling of then did not include dealing with the actual chemicals themselves t either force them to be proven safe and if not ban them for sale. sure that's not suprizing ijs.

Ladyshandon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This drug is being pushed VERY hard by Merck, too soon- Many vets are discontinuing Comfortis (which is proven very effective & has been on the market for over 2 decades w few side affects) & pushing Bravecto onto their customers-Field trials on cats only started in 2017- There is a video on youtube by channel 2 news (Atlanta, GA) that covered dog owners whos dogs died or went into a permanent state of lethargy after taking this medication. Once this drug is administered, there is no going back since it lasts for 3 months. The main issue they push for is its effectiveness on ticks- Have owned many dogs/cats, etc over the years. My cats are indoor-outdoor, never had any issues w ticks. I went to the Merck website for further info, very little info & they will not tell you whether Bravecto is water-proof or not. I'm staying with Comfortis since it's the one medication I've always used & proven to work w less serious side effects.
Merck Animal Health USA
Bravecto Topical Solution for Cats: The most common adverse reactions recorded in clinical trials were vomiting, itching, diarrhea, hair loss, decreased appetite, lethargy, and scabs/ulcerated lesions. Bravecto is not effective against American dog ticks beyond 8 weeks of dosing. For topical use only. Avoid oral ingestion. The safety of Bravecto has not been established in breeding, pregnant and lactating cats. Use with caution in cats with a history of neurologic abnormalities. Neurologic abnormalities have been reported in cats receiving Bravecto, even in cats without a history of neurologic abnormalities.
Bravecto (fluralaner topical solution) for Cats for Animal Use - Drugs.com
In the field study, two cats treated with fluralaner topical solution experienced ataxia. One cat became ataxic with a right head tilt 34 days after the first dose. The cat improved within one week of starting antibiotics. The ataxia and right head tilt, along with lateral recumbency, reoccurred 82 days after administration of the first dose. The cat recovered with antibiotics and was redosed with fluralaner topical solution 92 days after administration of the first dose, with no further abnormalities during the study. A second cat became ataxic 15 days after receiving its first dose and recovered the next day. The cat was redosed with fluralaner topical solution 82 days after administration of the first dose, with no further abnormalities during the study. In a European field study, two cats from the same household experienced tremors, lethargy, and anorexia within one day of administration. The signs resolved in both cats within 48-72 hours. In a European field study, there were three reports of facial dermatitis in humans after close contact with the application site which occurred within 4 days of application.