Bravecto dosing and thoughts on revolution PLUS?

user200400

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat weighs 6.28 kg would i be ok to give the bravecto for medium cats dose thats between 2.8-6.25 kg? The next dose for bravecto for large cats is 6.25-12.2kg, but i feel like the large dose is too much.

Also is revolution PLUS safe/good to use?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In my totally personal opinion, I would go with the lower dose.

Regarding the difference between Bravecto and Frontline Plus - a few things to note, IMO. Frontline Plus has been around since about 2000, it contains Fipronil & Methoprene, and as I understand through my research, it does not enter the bloodstream, but is rather spread through a cat's sebaceous glands. Bravecto is relatively new (2016), enters the bloodstream, and contains an isoxaline class of pesticides (Fluralaner) which obviously has a more limited 'history' but has been known to be connected to potential seizures in cats - particularly, but not exclusively, to ones with a background associated with neurological issues. Nonetheless, a lot of folks use both and have no issues, not to mention, many vets consider them both to be totally safe.

Again, personally speaking, I think Frontline Plus ingredients have probably been more well used, meaning a longer record, than Bravecto. Another distinct difference as far as I understand, is that Frontline Plus is only regulated by the EPA, whereas Bravecto, since it enters the bloodstream is regulated by the FDA.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad this question was asked…today is “Bravecto Day” for my cat, and am just dreading it, putting it off. He always resents me afterwards, and though we make up, I always feel as if I’m poisoning him. Maybe this time I won’t quite squeeze the entire contents out, as a treat to both of us.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad this question was asked…today is “Bravecto Day” for my cat, and am just dreading it, putting it off. He always resents me afterwards, and though we make up, I always feel as if I’m poisoning him. Maybe this time I won’t quite squeeze the entire contents out, as a treat to both of us.
You stand the chance of reducing the effectiveness just to potentially reduce the stress? I agree it takes longer to get all the application out of the tube, but what is the benefit in short-changing the amount if the end result is not enough treatment? Saving those few seconds are more important to you than they are to your cat, I am willing to bet. Barring a fine-line of weight that the OP mentioned, you give your cat the proper amount of whatever treatment you choose for them.

What you have to weigh is what bothers you the most - the treatment and its contents, or the time it takes to apply it? The latter will apply in all cases/products.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
…had nothing to do w/ the time it took to get it out of the tube, just me hating giving him the dose. In the end it all came out in one squirt, he didn’t hate me, and he has the full protection. I know it’s the right thing to do, it just smells so grim.