Brand new tank filter rattling

ColoradoCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I decided to upgrade my bettas' tanks from 3.5 to 5 gallons to give them more room to swim around, so I bought a couple Top Fin 5 gallon starter kits. One of them is working out really well and the noise from the filter is nothing more than a pleasant, quiet hum. The other one, however, is making a rather irritating rattling sound as it draws up the water. My best guess is it's something to do with the impeller, and I plan to take a good look when I get the time, but does anyone know what else it might be?

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes the pumps that come with all-in-one starter kits vary in quality. It's been a while since I've kept any fish, but I had this exact issue once years ago (can't remember the kit brand), and ended up exchanging the whole thing (there was no way to just exchange one part of the kit).

By the way, I love bettas. They develop their own individual personalities, they like to explore and interact with you. I used to keep two and I miss them.

Last edited:

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

I decided to upgrade my bettas' tanks from 3.5 to 5 gallons to give them more room to swim around, so I bought a couple Top Fin 5 gallon starter kits. One of them is working out really well and the noise from the filter is nothing more than a pleasant, quiet hum. The other one, however, is making a rather irritating rattling sound as it draws up the water. My best guess is it's something to do with the impeller, and I plan to take a good look when I get the time, but does anyone know what else it might be?
bit of gravel got sucked into pump/ cracked magnet on the impeller or impeller blade got broken. probably be easier just to return the entire pump to the store you got it from and browse the kitty stuff while they check it out :lol: