Brachial plexus injury

Donna_NZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently fostering a 10 week old kitten with a brachial plexus injury. He is unable to bear weight on the leg but gets around (pretty fast!) by leaning on the elbow(?). He’s wearing the fur off it but the skin is intact.
I believe the injury occurred about a month ago. The shelter’s vet did not recommend any treatment - just said to wait and see. He can use it to bat toys around and it seems to provide some stability but he’s completely unable to stand
9C327F70-76B0-4335-8F4E-04163CDCF628.jpeg
on the paw - it just collapses under him. Has anyone had experience of this? Does it come right? If not, is amputation the only solution? He’s a really sweet little kitten - he might end up being a foster fail!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am so sorry for your little guy! I did a search on this site and came up with no results from any other members going through this. That is not to say that there won't be some members who are familiar with the condition and perhaps they will respond soon!

I did find a couple of internet articles about it, so maybe they will be helpful, in the meantime. These articles seem to indicate this kind of injury typically involves nerves and feeling may be somewhat muted in your kitten. I will say it looks to me like bracing is used to help support the leg, so that might be something to talk to your vet about.
Brachial Plexus Avulsion in Cats (petplace.com)
Brachial Plexus Avulsion in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost (wagwalking.com)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If the fur really starts to wear off, you will need to watch that the skin does not become affected. Even if he does not have full sensation in the leg, it does not mean that the skin of the leg cannot become abraded and infected. He is adorable. If this means amputation, that is often a good solution in these cases as dragging the leg around is not an option long term. If it comes to that, not saying it will, he will adjust quickly to being a three legged kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Donna_NZ

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Than you both for your helpful replies. I read the articles you found - it’s been a month and he still can’t bear any weight on it so it’s at least a Class II or maybe III. Pretty sad for a tiny boy to start life this way but, as you say, hopefully he can adjust to life with 3 useful limbs