Boys are getting older, how will their behavior change?

skelekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

So recently, about 6 weeks ago in fact, I brought home my two beautiful boys. They're absolutely wonderful together, as they're from the same litter of seven (poor mummy cat), and the worst we've had is a lot of 'rough play' but realistically I know that is completely normal.

What I'm wondering is if this is likely to change, and what experiences people have had when they've had a "bonded pair" as my two boys are?

My mum has four cats (and a regular visitor) who all get along/tolerate each other, but those are all outdoor cats who can run away and hide when it all gets too much. The two youngest are not from the same litter but we fostered them both, so they've been together for most of their lives. They're still very close, although the littler one is a bit 'wrong' as we say, so his brother gets a bit fed up. I've had cats my whole life, but never really experienced what it's like having two cats of my own being literally together at all times!

I want my boys to get along as well as possible as they grow up, and being that they're indoor cats only, I wondered if anyone had any advice on how I can keep the peace? As it currently stands, they sleep together, eat together, and sometimes even wee/poop together! I'd love things to stay this way but I know it's probably not the case unless I'm careful! They've showed some  territorial behaviour when playing, but nothing I'd be worried about at this stage.

Any helpful hints/tips?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new little ones!  My first question is just whether they are neutered.  That will make a huge difference in their ability to coexist happily!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skelekittycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Congratulations on your new little ones!  My first question is just whether they are neutered.  That will make a huge difference in their ability to coexist happily!
They're booked in to have their bits chopped off next month, they'll be around 17 weeks old at the time. I wouldn't not neuter them, although I'm definitely going to be jittery with them being away from home for the day!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the very best thing you can do to keep them happy and healthy in a household together.  Much more nerve-wracking for you than for them!

Honestly, I wouldn't expect anything to change.  I would continue to play with them together to encourage bonding, but it sounds like you are well on your way.