Bowls that keep cats out of dog's food

alaskaerik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jack the cat can't seem to keep out of our dog's food. I keep a small bowl on top of the food, but that's a lousy solution. Does anyone make a covered bowl that only opens when Fido is in close proximity? Something that can be activated by a small transmitter on the dog's collar. Jack is on a special diet and the dog's food is not good for him. Thanks for responding.

Erik the human
Jack the cat
Holly the chocolate lab

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put the cat in another room. Give dog his food. Remove bowl if unfinished. Put it back a bit later and stick around again. Remove bowl. Let cat out.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have a lab and there is food in the bowl????? Obviously she doesn't know she's a labby

Anyway, our lab is right there to clean out her bowl - she growls if the cats come near while she is eating (she's only allowed that with cats, not with humans - EVER).

I'd lock up the cat till your lab is finished eating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alaskaerik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately Jack doesn't take too well to being sequestered. He'll chew on the door frame, as we found out right after we moved into our brand new house. He's lucky he's still alive! As for Holly, she has a tower feeder to make things easier on us. That's why I was hoping there was a covered bowl that the dog could activate.

Erik the human
Jack the cat
Holly the chocolate lab

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You want something to remotely work, then get a remote dog/cat door flap that will over the bowl or a frame you set over it.
Rig that over the bowl and put the transmitter on the dogs collar.
Shouldn't be too difficult.

At least it sounds good on paper.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
put a little warm water in your dogs food so they eat it when it's given to them and the cat won't have a chance.